The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default optional wader boot/ on trail

Hi yall, I have found my self in a bit of a situation. I have good in creek wader boots that grip well in the creek, but they are useless on a muddy path. I was wondering if there would be a down side you using a non wader army boot over my neoprene booties. and if that would hurt the wader. I am starting to get in to looking for salamanders and i need something that grips well both in and out of water.
Mike
Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: optional wader boot/ on trail

Hi Mike,

I have not used a boot as you describe but see no problem at all. I have often thought that a pair of Merrel hi top hikers in a size 15 would make a fine long distance wading boot and they are not as expensive as other options..........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would work fine, maybe suggest wearing a heavy sock over the neoprene (Borgeresque) just for a bit of extra padding against wear.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In the past people have used jungle boots as wading boots
They're even recommended as flats boots by Lefty in his 1974 book Fly Fishing in Salt Water
They are "oversized", have very aggressive tread, have drainage holes and are made for wet conditions.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

i was thinking jungle boots, as I have some I use for wet wading. I like the idea of wearing a sock over the booties. the elcheapo high top hikers might be an option too. I dont want something so spoungy, some of these salamander ponds are muck, thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My muck boots for duck hunting are a pair of Redball pack boots cut down to about the same height as a wading boot. These were my son's so they're large enough for me to use over waders and they have a nubby traction sole. They work better than regular wader boots with studs. I punched a couple of extra holes for drainage.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

There are strap-on cleats you can buy for that purpose. Can't remember who.
If you search wading boots you will run across them.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I just bought my first set of high end waders and they needed boots so I got the korkers for this very reason. The soles that change out should be great.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I use a set of neoprene booties with treads on the bottom that fasten with velcro over my wader booties when transporting my float tube to and from the lake. These seem to work pretty well and I have fished in them from shore when the fish are in tight. Not sure if these will work for your application, but thought I would throw it out there.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:59 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
I just bought my first set of high end waders and they needed boots so I got the korkers for this very reason. The soles that change out should be great.
If you pack in & want an all purpose boot the korkers might be the answer for you. Just carry the spare soles in your pack, switch & you can have a choice of felt, studed felt, rubber, or cleated rubber. I believe they also make the strap on studs that cockatouche mentioned..

Sorry about the brief thread theft......
Rip Tide I like the jungle boot idea for flats boots. I might give them a try because my neoprene, zip up the side pair are getting a little banged up. They only last so long & I think the jungle boots will last a lifetime if you rinse them off. The only metal visible on them is the brass eyelets. I just wonder if they have a steel shank. I had a pair of Chotas that I used in the salt & the shank corroded & weakened the sole attachment glue & when the sewed on portion around the sole wore enough the sole came off.
the last time I wore jungle boots was in the 60's & early 70,s but I remember those as being plenty sturdy, but they were never in salt water.

Ps I wonder if hi top Keds or Converse sneakers would work on the flats