The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Landing Hand or Net

Hi Fly2Fish,

Thanks for the report. I was under the impression that the Crocodile Hemostat was not worth the money. Did you have the Lippa on a retractor of some type? I think the Lippa would be good for in-shore wading down here in Florida. How big of a fish do you think you could handle with just the Lippa?

Frank
Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank, you are exactly right about the Crocodile hemostat; I was using the longer (8.5") model, which you would think about right for 20" Rainbows, but of course the San Juan's mainly take midges, so using this tool was akin to driving a tack with a sledgehammer. Next time I'll drop down to one of my smaller hemostats, which will do a better job.

As to the Lippa, I first tried using it in one of my William Joseph Fusion Vest's tool holsters, attached to the coil-type zinger the Lippa came with. However, it didn't retain well, falling out every inconvenient moment you could think of (BTW, the 8.5" Crocodile hemostat fit perfectly in those WJ Fusion tool holsters, but as I mentioned, the Crocodile really doesn't cut it for me anyway). I ended up using the Lippa in the Rising leather belt holster it's optioned with along with its coiled zinger, and that worked perfectly (there is a Cordura belt holster version also, but having tried it, don't think it fits/retains the Lippa as well). Strangely, the instructions for the Rising leather belt holster stated that the model coming with a belt clip - metal - sholdn't be used with waders, but the model I got had both a metal belt clip and a belt loop. I presumed this caution was for the wear the metal belt clip would cause to waders, so I improvised a "rubber" for the unneeded but unremovable metal belt clip by cutting off a finger of a rubberized fishing glove and pulling it over the clip. Worked fine.

As to size of fish the Lippa could easily control, it worked easily with the 20" trout in the San Juan/NM, and had I had it with me when flyfishing the White River outside of Ketchikan in Alaska last August, would certainly have handled the pink salmon we were landing there as well. I found that - as recommended - using it on the lower jaw to keep the fish horizontally stabilized aided tremendously in removing the hook. I estimate it took me half the time it would normally take in removing the hook and returning the fish to the water.

Neil
Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

Thanks again for your report. I think anything that helps to land and release a fish with less effort is a good thing. The Lippa is something I would take along more often than I would a Boga Grip.

Frank
Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank, one other thing I should add: The Lippa4Life comes in two versions - a reasonably-priced ($25 more or less) stainless(?) steel version, and an anodized aluminum version which I ended up buying after looking both over. The aluminum version is quite expensive, listing around $100, although "1st generation" models (which seem functionally indistinguishable to me from the latest model) seem to be available for the mid-$40s if you look hard enough. The reason why I went for the anodized aluminum version was not only that it was considerably lighter - a real factor considering how much I tend to carry with me during a day's wading - but also that its design seemed more suitable for trout than the steel model, a fact that Rising themselves confirm if you dig down enough through their literature. While as a freshwater flyfisherman the anodized aluminum version's better resistance to salt water corrosion than the steel version wasn't much of a factor for me, it probably would be for you.
Cheers, Neil