The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Landing Hand or Net

Hi to All,

Has anyone used one of these gizmo's. One problem I have with it is you still have to squeeze the fish or tail it. I wonder if it is any better than the knot-less nets that are now out. They say it is good for Salmon but it would not work with some of the Salmon I have caught unless you tail it. You would still have to handle the Salmon with your other hand with nothing on it. It may be good for smaller fish. I don't really know with out some first hand experience. Any comments?

Landing Hand
Click the image to open in full size.

Detailed DescriptionThe best alternative to the traditional landing net! The Landing Hand is the catch and release angler's solution to getting a firm but gentle grip on fish. No more fumbling for a net and no more rough handling to get the fish and your fly separated from the mesh of the net. This fish-friendly "mitt" utilizes a knot-less mesh and clips to your belt for easy access. Simple to use - just slip your hand in, gently grip or tail the fish and admire your catch. Take a quick photo, then a kinder and gentler release. Comes with coil lanyard and designed for fish of all sizes - freshwater or saltwater.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Hand or Net

Those are cool, but I think I will stick with my custom built net. Why wouldn't one of those gloves with the rubber in the palm do the same thing?
Plus like you said most people use both hands when landing a big fish.
This is nice in that it would be real quick to stick your hand in in a hurry.
Maybe one on each hip and be quick on the draw...LOL Now that could work.
Or one of those gloves with the rubber palm on one hand and that thing for the other.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

I think it is designed to catch anglers.

I believe a landing net would be easier on large fish, both to contain and unhook.

I can see putting a couple of beers in it and dragging it behind me in the current.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucha View Post

I believe a landing net would be easier on large fish, both to contain and unhook.

I can see putting a couple of beers in it and dragging it behind me in the current.

Trucha,

Ya might be onto something there
Old 09-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucha View Post

LMAO......you sure we aren't related LOL
Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road

i am trying the Lippa tool so i dont have to handle the fish. anybody ever use one?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi troutbum20,

I was just thinking about them last night. I have not used one but it should work well. Same holding principal as the Boga Grip. Please report back on how it works.

Frank
Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I never catch anything so it doesn't matter.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:14 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i think this is truchas' key word here.. containment.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum20 View Post
i am trying the Lippa tool so i dont have to handle the fish. anybody ever use one?
I used mine for the first time extensively on the San Juan/NM a week or so ago. Although I expect many would use it in lieu of a net, I used it in conjunction with my net. Found that I could return good-sized (17-20") trout back to the water much quicker and in better shape using it than I could otherwise just using my net. BTW, didn't find the 8" Rising Crocodile "hemostat" particularly useful, and should have saved my money there, but the money was well spent for the Lippa4Life.