The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Small raft ecommendations

I am considering the purchase of a small raft or inflatable boat for either one or two persons. It should have oars for drifting rivers with class I or II rapids only. I am also concerned about leaks occuring on a float lasting several days. How does one handle the problem of leaks?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small raft ecommendations

NFO Assault XX. Aquaseal any leaks.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Slinger,

Everyone here has their own favorite raft or pontoon boat brands that they like. My advise is pretty simple; if you have a business that deals specifically with rafts and pontoon / frame boats deal with them. I have 2 that we got from Alaska Raft &kayak in Anchorage, it's 53 miles away but the support they gave with any issues was worth the trip. Unless you are very fortunate there will inevitably be a leak sooner or later. Having a dedicated dealer that you bought the raft from is worth oodles when there is a problem.

We have 2 of these boats, one is 13' and the other a one person 8' model. I always carry the factory patch kit and an AIR 2 stage pump on extended trips just in case. There has never been a failure on a trip but I have already came outside to find that I had a low pontoon on the big boat. That's when the warranty and dedicated service came in real handy.................... Both boats are made by OutCast a division of AIR Products and they have delivered 4 seasons of use so far, great boats for the money.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I love this boat. North Fork Outdoors Assault XX (2 man)
Click the image to open in full size.

The Assault is 8'6" long, the Assault XX is 10'6", and the new XXX is 12' long I think. Combination raft, and frameless kickboat.
Mine tips at about 30# I think.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There could be one of those in my future Allen, without the frame it would pack into a float plane real slick. How long to air that up and with which pump?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ard, with a LVM pump, about 2 minutes. We top them off with a K100 K-Pump.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That Assault XX is one sweet looking raft!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I want one for an early Christmas gift!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
There could be one of those in my future Allen, without the frame it would pack into a float plane real slick. How long to air that up and with which pump?

Ard

I have not personally tried the XX by myself, but it at 10'6" and the Renegade at 9', I had to show these pictures as to why we like them.

My car, Grand Vitara

Gear, motor, net, battery

I leave the seat area inflated so it is easier to lift

I then put flippers, hip waders, rods, and bags on top

Leaving both front seats open

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: Nice setup, when I use the Camry, I deflate my Rampage and fold it up kind of loose and stuff it in the trunk, actually fits pretty easy along with the oars, net and flippers. Then all the rest of the gear goes in the rear seat.