The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM

flycaster is on a distinguished road
Default Cliff Outdoors Fly Boxes

How good is the Cliff Outdoors Days Worth fly box?
Thanks!
Cliff Outdoors - Products
Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cliff Outdoors Fly Boxes

I've heard good things, though I'm a bigger fan of the BigCliff.

The owner's a super nice guy, and you're definitely dealing with a small company that sells good stuff because they do what we do and know what we need.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have not used or seen one but I was disappointed that the size of the box wast not posted with the description. I don't know how to judge it without knowing the size.

Frank
Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I have not used or seen one but I was disappointed that the size of the box wast not posted with the description. I don't know how to judge it without knowing the size.
Frank
Frank, I noticed that on another website, the "new" Cliff's Outdoors Super Days Worth fly box is stated to be 6” x 4” x 1 5/8”. It may be a leap to assume the "Super" would be larger than the "non-Super", but that's probably a reasonable assumption (it may also be a replacement model, which moots the original question). Although (like I suspect most of us) I have accumulated far more fly boxes than I can actively use, I must say I'm tempted with this one. For the Rockies stream/river wade fishing for trout that I do, this box would seem to hold all the flies I need on the stream; midges, dries, streamers - even Buggers - in a pretty efficient wind-resistant manner, letting me get by on the stream with just this and my indispensable Orvis Dropper Rig fly box. It's easy to see why it was the American Angler "KA-CHING" Award Winner for 2008.

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cliff Outdoors Super Days Worth fly box.jpg (69.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil, thanks for the measurements.

Well I don't know if 4"X6" is super big but it is big enough for a few days fishing. My saltwater box that I carry is 4"X9"X2 1/8". The Days Worth box seems like a good idea if you want a large fly box.

I have not used the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box but I have thought it would be good for saltwater fishing. I guess it would be good for float trips also. I may get one for my pontoon boat.

Frank

Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank, that Orvis Dropper Rig fly box, along with the Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect Leaders, easily trebled my "line in the water" time during my San Juan/NM week's trip earlier this month (BTW, Doug McNair has excellent reviews of both under Gear Reviews). In addition, if I had sufficient patience the evening before to pre-tie up enough dropper rigs (real meaning: before too many Bourbons made it an impossible task!), I could easily change flies by switching out the L2L leaders in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to cut off and re-tie a fly - a nice option in dim light during an ongoing hatch.
Cheers, Neil