The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM

bwofish is on a distinguished road
Default Waders Question

I've been using hip waders for awhile and I'm tired of not able to wade in higher water and my feet always being cold. I don't fish in the cold that much(maybe 4 times a year) so I don't want to spend that much. What are options around $100-150?

I'd rather have neoprene stockingfoot w/ boots seperate but I'm open to options as I'm no expert. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Re: Waders Question

I started flyfishing in hip waders and was amazed how many times I'd go to deep and got wet. That lasted one season. For any moderately sized river there is no doubt chest waders rule. I started with Cabelas and they gave a good bang for the buck.....depending on your budget .....I'd check out the Redington Sonic Pro welded waders...the reviews for $250 waders are off the wall. as for Neoprene .....I've never owned anything but breathables. in hot weather Neoprenes make you wish you had breathable....but I fish really cold water in breathables... I just wear thermal long johns and warm socks.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

sorry just realized you want to keep it at 100-150.....i'd say go to $150 and check out Cabelas at that range
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

We bought up 4 pair of Hodgman's 3 mm neoprene stocking foot waders a couple years ago on a closeout deal at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've been using them here in Alaska where the water is always cold and they are working fine. Look for a good deal on them and you'll score under 75.00 I hope.

I have a pair of Simms breathable for warm days also but the cheap Hodgmans are my cold weather waders.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Waders Question

You know what they say about hip waders ...
They're just a way to measure how deep the water was when you got wet.

A second on the Cabelas waders
I've owned 6-7 different pairs of theirs over the years and I've never been disappointed
Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I second the Cabelas route. In the higher end of that range you can get some LLBEAN (plus they ship everything for free) or ORVIS waders. All of them would most likely be breathable and you can layer up under them in cold weather. From these retailers you get a guarantee if you're ever dissatisfied.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 AM

bwofish is on a distinguished road

I don't fish that much so I don't want to spend a lot, just something functional. These any good?

Field & Stream Angler Felt Sole Wading Shoe - Dick's Sporting Goods
Field & Stream Sportsman Breathable Stockingfoot Wader - Dick's Sporting Goods

also you guys would prefer breathable over neoprene even in the cold?

EDIT: Looking at cabela's and I found these, thoughts?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103926780

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103926780
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Might consider the llbean version for $79 vs the other from dicks. I'm not certain what the dicks guarantee is, but I believe llbean's to be lifetime on their brand of products. So if they leak in a year, send em back. llbean ships for free. I've owned this very pair and they held up for a year.

I've never used those brand of wading boots, they look okay. Reviews look good. Check if felt is okay to use in your state.

And I've never used full neoprene waders. A buddy of mine has a pair from cabelas and he likes em fine in the cold. I prefer to control my layering (can shed them if the day gets warm), neoprene from what I've seen are pretty form fitting so don't offer a lot of room for layering...again that's my assumption.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

For $79 llbean vs cabelas...i think you'd be getting the same level of quality and function except that the cabelas have the reinforced knee...which can come in handy. I'd go for these...same guarantee as llbean.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a Snowbee Granite pair two years ago to fish in winter...good stuff...they're on sale http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/clearance/:
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Frogg Toggs.....
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm on my 3rd pair of Cabela's GII's-about $130- And they've worn pretty well. I fish and duck hunt in them. I buy them large to leave room for layering and they generally wear through the inseam from rubbing. I bought a set last year and they started leaking way too soon, I returned them and was told they were actually out of warranty, but they replaced them anyway. I may just go ahead and Aqua seal the inseams before I start wearing them.
I've worn my 5mm neoprenes exactly once since I started wearing breathables: as back-ups when the breathables leaked.
Breathables are warmer, more adjustable through layering and give more freedom of movement, IMO.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey