The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 PM

rockburn is on a distinguished road
Default Trout fishing net kit

My trout fishing net has finally rotted out. This never bothered me before as I rarely kill a trout, but now it's just too horrible. I put a new net in the wooden frame years ago, but cannot find a net kit now.

Can anyone help?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM

physiognomy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trout fishing net kit

I was looking to replace the nylon in a net I just bought & found that Brodin sells their ghost net bags... I was almost shocked they are so affordable.

Ghost Bags
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Some years back I built a few kits and as I remember, there were a number of places that sold them.
Last time I wanted to build one, this is the only dealer I could find
Trout Net Kits
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM

rockburn is on a distinguished road

Thank you both very much. I'll check them out.

Doug
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Last time I wanted to build one, this is the only dealer I could find
Trout Net Kits
Great link RT, I've built a couple of nets using Jans Netcraft products.

Rick
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Another vote for the Brodin Ghost bag. I found one on the auction site and it's great. Big plus for me was hooks don't get tangled in it and I almost always run a three fly set up and that can be a nightmare with a mesh bag.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:51 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I've seen the measure net bag sold separately. About the same price as the ghost bag IIRC
Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

I know the topic here is about Trout nets; my question is a little off topic in that I am relatively new to fly fishing, and my primary catch is largemouth bass here in south Florida. I have learned that a fly rod is not intended for "lifting" fish, so I acquired a small, wooden frame net to help relieve the strain from my rod when pulling a 3# bass out of the water which is three feet below my feet (steep banks in my favorite fishing hole). My question is: what is the recommended means of keeping that net close at hand and available when needed? I feel it needs to be anchored, tethered, or somehow attached to my body for easy access, but for the life of me I cannot see any information on how to make that happen. Let me mention also that I am gearing up to try my luck at some surf fishing soon. Is it recommended to also use a net when rescueing a catch from the surf, or am I better off carrying one of those hand-held grabbers which you see on tv (with the jaws that lift the fish by the lips)?

Let me hear your thoughts as regards use of a net for other than trout fishing.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You're not going to want to try to net a fish in the surf
What you do is just clamp down on the line and back up, letting the surf help you get the fish high enough on the sand to where you feel safe enough to bend down and grab it.
When I need a tool, I use a Fish Grip. They're light weight, cheap, and they float, unlike the Boga Grip and it's clones.
As for you're bass fishing problem, it seems to me that a trout sized net is not going to cut it. You might need a boat net.
Either that or just grab the leader in hand and haul the fish up that way...as long as you're using a stout enough tippet, that is.

The Fish Grip (around $15)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

Hey Rip, thanks for the information. Sounds like the Fish Grip would be a reasonable approach for my surf catch..... after letting the surf help bring the fish to me. Also, the boat net could be my better answer at home where I catch those large bass out of my backyard canal. My biggest objection about putting my hand on the leader anywhere near the water is not that I'm afraid of breaking off the tippet, rather it is that the last time I tried that approach, a 6 foot gator decided he wanted my fish.......... the jaw clamp and water flail only a couple feet from my feet, actually two feet onto the grass taught me to keep my distance....... Oh, let me mention also that float tubes are obviously not too popular here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You're not going to want to try to net a fish in the surf
What you do is just clamp down on the line and back up, letting the surf help you get the fish high enough on the sand to where you feel safe enough to bend down and grab it.
When I need a tool, I use a Fish Grip. They're light weight, cheap, and they float, unlike the Boga Grip and it's clones.
As for you're bass fishing problem, it seems to me that a trout sized net is not going to cut it. You might need a boat net.
Either that or just grab the leader in hand and haul the fish up that way...as long as you're using a stout enough tippet, that is.

The Fish Grip (around $15)

Click the image to open in full size.