The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Question I need a chemist or materials engineers help please.

I was thinking of making myself a few indicators using Macrame cord like I read in an article. Some macrame cord is mad out of polypropylene (I know this floats) and some out of polyolefin fiber. Does anyone know if they are close enough to be interchangeable?

thanks all!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I need a chemist or materials engineers help please.

Polyolefins is a class of polymers (plastics) that includes Polypropylene (PP) & Polyethylene (PE). Both PP and PE has lower densities than water so either should float well.

I am a material scientist & do research on these types of materials for my day job
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Polyolefins is a class of polymers (plastics) that includes Polypropylene (PP) & Polyethylene (PE). Both PP and PE has lower densities than water so either should float well.

I am a material scientist & do research on these types of materials for my day job
Thanks mysticm!
I did a bit of reading and figured out they where 'related' but I was not sure how similar the properties are. My organic chem classes where too long ago to be helpful. I will give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks again
Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM

The Polyethylene "Craft Cord" does float well, and should be even better bunched up like in the video and maybe with a bit of gink added.