The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:59 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default wader boot's/shoes

I have no fancy kind of waders and wader boot's. I have a $120 stockingfoot wader's from dicks field & stream, also My boot's are field & stream also $40 pair and they aren't any good. Any1 know good decent wader boot's or shoes Somewhere in the area of $50-$100
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wader boot's/shoes

You get what you pay for .... some times.

More than you've posted up but the Simms bottom of their line (Freestone) is (imho) the best boot they make. That said, if you want to go 'all in' and just get the 'best' its the Korker's new 'Chromes.'

They really are the 'Bee's Knees' for comfort, choice of bottoms, etc., and etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Angelo,

I am sure you will get plenty of good advice on brands, so just gonna say, a good set of wading boots are critical for long term comfort, and to keep your ankles safe while wading.

And as far as waders are concerned, I have had cheap waders (<100) and they got me through the early years, but what I learned from that experience, especially if you like to fly fish as much as I do, is that while sometimes we have to go cheap due to finances, when you get a chance get a "really good" set of breathable waders, dont' scrimp, especially if you are going to fish during the winter time. I didnt really believe this until I got a pair of good ones, the difference is noticiable both in comfort, warmth and a lack of seepage/leakage.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

If you can "wade" through for a while with your "current" boots and save a little more scratch, do it. I spent a considerable amount of time this
spring researching this topic, going to outfitters, and asking opinions from anyone who would give one.
I purchased "Korkers Metalheads"
Interchangeable soles; the pols are trying to outdo each other by banning felt soles so why not do it now instead of having your boots voted obsolete? And there is a sole for any conditions.
Boa closure system; Quick one hand adjustment and it (the Boa) sounds like the click of a fly reel (coincidence?).
Bottom line is; If you go on the cheap again, you will probably be dissapointed again.
"Cabela'" has "Metalheads" for 180.00.
It's only another 75.00.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have to echo these other posters sentiments, if you can hold out to save up a little more you will be much happier. I did the following

Cheap Dicks Sporting good waders / boots $100
Then went to Simms Freestoneboots $100
Simms entry level waders $200

Now have Simms Guide boots and good waders for $700

Basically I spent $400 on waders that sit in a bag because I couldnt afford the good ones....hindsight is 20/20 but knowing I was hooked on fly fishing I wish I had just gone straight to the good stuff.

Not saying spend 7-800 but you can get some good stuff like the other posters mentioned.

I estimate between waders boots / rods / reels /misc gear I wasted over a thousand bucks on gear that just sits

***edit***
Hope my post didnt sound arrogant but as others said buy the best you can afford, or like me you will be buying the same gear 2 and 3 times to end uo with what you should have started with.

Last edited by comeonavs; 05-05-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I just got a pair of Patagonia Riverwalkers on sale for 99 bucks and they rock. These are in your budget and just as good as anything else out there (IMO). I wanted them when they were full retail and I know if anything goes wrong Patagonia will make it right.
As far as the what sole is best question, I just went back to felt after 6 months in rubber. Never again.
CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog

Steelheader's Anonymous.