The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   How they made gut leaders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/263822-how-they-made-gut-leaders.html)

Red Owl 04-10-2012 01:17 PM

How they made gut leaders

I'm reading Halford right now- just for fun. I never really knew much about the old silk lines and gut leaders. The silk was soaked in linseed oil and dried- the process repeated again after a month or two- it took about a year to make the line. The final product wasn't too different from today's dacron and plastic coat. On the gut leaders- I copied this website for anyone interested.:cool:
oakenking: Silkworm gut

jpbfly 04-10-2012 02:04 PM

Re: How they made gut leaders

Very interesting read and pics...had heard about it but never seen pics.I used silk lines for a few years ....and still got a dt one on one of my reels:)

Rip Tide 04-10-2012 02:33 PM

I have an old book that has quite a bit about this, Making and Using the Fly and Leader by Paul H. Young, 1933
You wouldn't know it unless told , but when you hear reference to Cat Gut, the cat is short for caterpillar. :eek:

The gut strands were normally 12 - 15 inches but longer strands of 20+" were available and very expensive. Of course there was huge advantage of a dry fly tippet of this length
"Drawn" gut was drawn through a diamond die to provide a consistent diameter.

mcnerney 04-10-2012 04:49 PM

Very interesting to read, thanks for sharing!

Red Owl 04-10-2012 05:33 PM

You can still buy silk lines for about $150 which really isn't that high given what it takes to make them however it always seemed like a lot of maintenance to keep them in good shape. How do they preform compared to the better lines of today?

stimulator2 04-11-2012 03:55 PM

That was very interesting ..

fredaevans 04-11-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Owl (Post 430065)
You can still buy silk lines for about $150 which really isn't that high given what it takes to make them however it always seemed like a lot of maintenance to keep them in good shape. How do they preform compared to the better lines of today?

Actually (lighter-'shorter' rod weights) extremely well ..... but only on a Baby Boo.:D A total waste on a plastic rod ... zero Penashe (sp?) there.

As for silk gut it really will put a hole in your credit card; Dear God that stuff is expensive. But if you're doing 'Blind Eye' flies (big ones) ties, its the way to go. Huge 'Wow Factor' especially in Presentation Level (none of mine:o:yawn:) flies.