The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Wader boots

I'm looking for a good made in the U.S.A. wading boot to use with Simm's waders. Any input?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wader boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I'm looking for a good made in the U.S.A. wading boot to use with Simm's waders. Any input?
I bought the G4 guide boot by Simms since I hike a little when I fish. Work great ,lightweight enough to hike in, sturdy comfortable

All in all no complaints
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I think one of the most important things on boots is the fit.. and everyones different.

I don't think Simms boots are made in the US. Not sure of any that are these days.. I just checked three different brands, all made in China

I do have G4s.. a little heavy I think. Korkers are my favorite at this point. But I would try the Simms with the BOA system.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I think one of the most important things on boots is the fit.. and everyones different.

I don't think Simms boots are made in the US. Not sure of any that are these days.. I just checked three different brands, all made in China

I do have G4s.. a little heavy I think. Korkers are my favorite at this point. But I would try the Simms with the BOA system.
I think Dave's correct about no boots (short of something custom) being made in the US (Orvis or Danner may be a possible exception.) but for pure 'fit' two are standouts imho.

The Simms 'Freestones' which are the bottom of their line and the new Korker Chromes. Both have a very wide 'last' and you've got real room for a neo-bootie and a heavy set of socks. That said, like every boot I've ever put on you need to buy at least one size up from your regular shoe size. Two is actually better for cold water work.

Being I mentioned the Danner Boot will have to do a Google to see if they still make a wading boot. For many years they were the 'Cadillac' of them all. That said, haven't seen anyone with them on in years.

Edit: Re Danner, would appear they're no longer making a wading boot.

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-13-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I use Simm's Rivertek boots with the Boa lace system as Dave mentioned, they're lighter than the G4 boots, plus they are very convenient in the winter with no laces to freeze or anything like that. In addition they fit great and are very grippy (plus I added studs which increases the grippiness). I've found myself standing on rocks in some pretty serious flows and my boots not even moving. A definite improvement from rubber bootfoots... I haven't worn the Riverteks for too long (maybe 20 or so outings) but I have not seen any noticeable wear, besides the Simms name on the insole rubbing off (as if I needed a reminder that the boots were Simms once I pulled my feet out of them anyway...). And while I'd buy a size up, the particular pair I have are my usual shoe size (I originally purchased them with large amounts of hiking in mind) and I have not had any days of losing feeling in my feet, even when standing still in the Niagara River in the middle of winter.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

As far as the OP goes- Weinbrenner USA Gary Borger boot's are of a high quality..Unfortunately I believe they are no longer in production, you might be able to find some on the net somewhere.

mrfc.com clearance section has them at half price@ 70$

Last edited by cw76; 04-13-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: update