The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 11:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default So you just dumped your cell phone, Iphone, small camera in the drink ....

We've all heard about 'someone' whose done that (including in the toilet!) and several how to 'fix it.' From dry white rice to a hair dryer .... but what if you don't happen to any of that handy?

Seen a few reviews on this handy deal and appears to work a treat. Just spend the $20.00 and keep it in the glove box in your car/truck. Just pull the battery (if you can) and seal everything in the bag. A few hours later 'Bob's your Uncle' as the Brit's would say:

Bheestie Bag Can Save Your Wet Electronic Devices – Viewpoints.com

There's a larger version of the above (another company) that will even take e-readers, etc. Google: Dry-All Wet Cellular Phone Emergency Kit
by DRY-ALL
Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: So you just dumped your cell phone, Iphone, small camera in the drink ....

And should you not go the protection route, do not try to turn it back on if it's shut off and if it is on, shut it off until you can evaluate the extent of the flooding and possible damage. Remove that battery asap--then place in a bag of dry rice to dry throughly. There are several good how to sites on the net for taking care of drowned phpones, etc.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: So you just dumped your cell phone, Iphone, small camera in the drink ....

Am I missing something? Not to be contrary, but if your going through the trouble of keeping this bag in your glove box, couldn't you just keep a bag of rice in your glove box? If your really desperate, it could then serve dual purpose as an emergency food (if you haven't already used it for drawing water out of a phone).
I don't carry my phone with me to the water, so I'm not up on how well the rice trick works compared to this bag so please excuse the ignorance.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

The rice trick works well but it takes some time depending on how wet. Had several clients that dropped phones and it worked for all of them . Just took some time.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

That is just a bag filled with desiccant, basically the same stuff that comes in the little white bags with electrical devices. There is also a brand of cat litter made from the same blue beads.

So just save up the desiccant bags you get or buy a small bag of cat litter.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
That is just a bag filled with desiccant, basically the same stuff that comes in the little white bags with electrical devices. There is also a brand of cat litter made from the same blue beads.

So just save up the desiccant bags you get or buy a small bag of cat litter.
Actually it's not the same material at all; same basic idea just far more effective. As for a bag of rice in your car for what ever purpose (food) that would be quite unusual save for you also had all the required cooking gear along for the ride. Beach side hot lunches are WONDERFUL! I use a "Kelly Kettle" out of the UK. Original design was for the troupes in the front line trenches in WWI; idea still works a treat.

As for cat litter, most of it is made out of clay. That's why it 'clumps up' when 'wet.'

Bye the bye, those little bags are intended to attract moisture that may have penetrated the box, not dry out a soaking wet 'what-ever.'
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Actually it's not the same material at all; same basic idea just far more effective. As for a bag of rice in your car for what ever purpose (food) that would be quite unusual save for you also had all the required cooking gear along for the ride. Beach side hot lunches are WONDERFUL! I use a "Kelly Kettle" out of the UK. Original design was for the troupes in the front line trenches in WWI; idea still works a treat.

As for cat litter, most of it is made out of clay. That's why it 'clumps up' when 'wet.'

Bye the bye, those little bags are intended to attract moisture that may have penetrated the box, not dry out a soaking wet 'what-ever.'

Note I said "A brand of cat litter"

Click the image to open in full size.

It is not clay, it is all silica gel crystals the same as in most desiccant packages.

Just so you know, regular clay cat litter also works well as a desiccant, in fact the desiccant packages we use at work (I assemble, test, and ship electrical equipment used in semiconductor manuf) to ship with equipment is just clay cat litter in a bag. Also, the military has largely changes to the same clay cat litter for storing stuff because it works well and can be bought in bulk for very cheap.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 AM

sinc will become famous soon enough

In the West (Denver and beyond) it is very arid. Open up the phone and all orifices that may be closed, remove the battery, and balance the phone on top of a small surface like a medicine bottle cap. Just let dry. The air typically has very low humidity (except during rain storms). Things dry out very well and quickly.

Although it's humid along the coast, I live 20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, and I might as well be in the Mohave Desert it's so arid here.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Indeed Sir, indeed. Been a couple of times where my cell phone has been plopped up on the dash board baking in the sun. Finally got smart and bought myself (actually had it made) a leather holster with a snap fold over top.

I could be standing on my head and that phone's going nowhere.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Good link to check out
"How to save a wet Cell phone" http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone
One good note they mention and make good sense is don’t use a hair dryer, reason why is you will force the water into areas that could cause damage to your phone......make sense to me.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !