The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Default Bootfoot wader repair

Managed to get two small U-shaped cuts in the rubber portion of my hipboots. Cuts are small and smooth; underlying cloth lining is not torn or cut. THe cuts are located on the upper side of the foot part just above the molded sole but in a flat, smooth area. Will aqua seal be appropriate to fix this or should I look for other alternatives... What would you recommend? Any repair tricks around?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Bootfoot wader repair

Aqua seal should work fine. Be sure to overlap the edges a fair bit. no need to skimp.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Aquaseal is a fine product, but pretty darned expensive. And the tube will dry out quickly unless you really clear any air out of the tube before you screw the cap back on. Keep the remainder in the freezer; doesn't hurt it at all.

That aside, given where your cuts are located a simple (and cheap) alternative is 'Shoe Goo,' same stuff you'd use to repair tennis shoes, etc. End job may not look 'pretty,' but do you care if it's water proof, flexible and 100% effective?

As noted above, don't skimp on the area to be sealed, lots of over lap is a good thing.
fae
Davo likes this.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Maybe rough up the area around the hole a little with some sandpaper, might make the bond better. Clean it up with alcohol before applying.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Maybe rough up the area around the hole a little with some sandpaper, might make the bond better. Clean it up with alcohol before applying.
GOOD CALL! Forgot all about that with my post .... but 'goes to sho-ya' how long ago I did a rubber boot repair. Last set of Wellingtons I had (new ones now) had so much shogoop on them you couldn't tell where it ended and real rubber began........

Fred