The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Wader Advice Needed! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/266758-wader-advice-needed.html)

trout sniper 04-17-2012 10:25 PM

Wader Advice Needed!

Hey all, with my old waders recently biting the dust, I was hoping to buy a new pair for around $100 (everyone starts laughing). I live in HOT Arizona, so want a pair that are breathable and fairly lightweight. I also need to stay in budget becasue I really dont have much to spend. I know, I know. "You get what you pay for..." "Inexpsensive and good quality are mutually exclusive when it comes to waders." etc.... Still, I see a couple of interesting prospects and I am a bargain hunter.

My question is, does anyoe know of such waders that would stay in budget and "fit the bill"? I am not opposed to buying used from someone reputable that won't sell me worthless leaky waders, if anyone has a good pair to sell me.

The point though, is really this. What is the best pair of waders for fishing envoronments that range from hot to cool? I can always add more insulation underneath, so I don't want neoprenes or insulated waders. I don't wade THAT much, so they dont have to last a lifetime.

Has anyone tried Caddis Deluxe Breathable waders? For around $100, they look god with attatched gravel guards and some interesting technology. Do they really work? How good is the quality?

I know I am asking a lot for $100: Breathable, farily lightweight, fairly durable. Still, there must be some wader out there that fits the bill.

Again, opinions and advice are welcome. I would apprecaite a pm if anybody has waders in GOOD CONDITION (no leaks) that they are willing to sell me or if anybody knows where such a pair can be found. I am 5'11" and weigh 160 lbs, so medium to medium long would be best, but depending on the brand large might also work.

Let me know and thanks in advance.

rider14x 04-18-2012 09:09 AM

Re: Wader Advice Needed!

You should check out Sierra Trading Post. They have some great deals on entry-level breathable waders right now. Plus, they are always sending out 25% off coupons if you subscribe to their e-mail list.

Good luck!

brookfieldangler 04-18-2012 11:28 AM

You can't go wrong with the Cabela's or BPS' store brands. I am done with buying $300+ waders and stick to these. You can get breathable with built in gravel guards for a hundred bucks or less.

It doesn't matter the price, I have to replace my waders once a year so why spend the big money for the same result?

trout sniper 04-18-2012 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone. So no one out there has tried caddis breathables?

Hardyreels 04-18-2012 05:48 PM

I am not going to push big money waders but I have a point for you to consider. Are there cactus where you will be fishing? I used to live in Colorado and one creek in particular had a type of cacti that had spines about an inch long. I avoided them like the plague but one day had one stick right through the thigh of a 5 ply pair of 'Wicked Tough' waders. So no matter what you buy, remember those cactus buddy :)

Ard

trout sniper 04-18-2012 06:16 PM

I will mainly be tubing on lakes, there arent any spots near cacti that I will be walking too (I can just put on the waders at the shore and take em off). I also want to use them on tailwaters like The Ferry and The Juan.

Guest1 04-18-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rider14x (Post 434122)
You should check out Sierra Trading Post. They have some great deals on entry-level breathable waders right now. Plus, they are always sending out 25% off coupons if you subscribe to their e-mail list.

Good luck!

Took the words right out of my mouth..... uh fingers? Keyboard? You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Look at Madison River Fly Company and see if they still have Simms in your size in the closeouts. They are a tad over your $100.00 mark but not by much and they are Simms. I got a pair from them.