The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default do you pay to have your car moved?

Im new to floating rivers on personal pontoons and am currious what everyone else is doing to move their cars from the put in location to the take out location. It seems everywhere iv been so far a shop will move your car for $20-30. That seems like a small amount of change till it starts adding up after 4 trips in one week just to move a truck without a trailer. I reciently been thinking about throwing a moped in the back of the truck and dropping it off at the take out location ahead of time. What do you do, do you pay to have your car moved or have a different system?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: do you pay to have your car moved?

I haven't run into this situation yet since we've always taken multiple cars and parked at either end (I'm sure the cost of driving the second car there probably equals the cost of having the single car moved). The moped (or bike) idea is a good one, but I'd love to hear what sort of systems people use (I've only had to do the long walk once).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

The moped idea is a good one I have been looking to get one of those myself!

I usually just pay for the shuttle service but like you said it adds up after 3 or 4 trips in one weekend.

Having two cars is always nice but doesn't always work out unless you have a crew of people on the river and then still there is no convenient way to pull it off .

It really just depends on what section of river I am floating and what time of year it is.
In some cases I tend to Hitchhike and on others I ride a pedal bike, but most commonly I pay the piper so to speak.

Then there are some sections like 40 miles + sections that a 40$ shuttle fee doesn't seem so bad!

I kind of look at the shuttle fee as a convenience fee it just makes things easier and puts you on the river that much sooner.
However some places just don't have shuttles as an option, so the above is the option.

Happy floating
Peace,
Watson
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

With 2 people in the boat, we get a shuttle.. it's 20-30 depending on how far the driving distance is between the 2 points.. it's nice just to come out of the water and get the trailer to haul us out. Otherwise we eat that up in gas with one person staying with the boat and me shuttling back and forth

With 3 people in the boat, it becomes a toss up.

I've thought about a bike for some of the shorter floats, but people .. especially tourists, can be looking around and never see me.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Both guiding and personal trips I shuttle. Saves time, fuel and hassle for me. Get on the water and off the water faster. Most of my shuttles run $25.00 to $30.00.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I've thought about a bike for some of the shorter floats, but people .. especially tourists, can be looking around and never see me.
The only places that I have used a bike for shuttles are places that you are unlikely going to see another car at all, let alone a tourist. Hence the reason I'm biking and not hitching.

Davo pretty much sums it up by saying shuttles save time, fuel and the hassle.
Although my shuttles run anywhere from 17 to 90+ dollars I still feel the same.
However I would love to have the option of a moped or something of that nature.

Peace,
Watson
Old 04-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

When I first got my drift boat I was thinking about getting a small 125-250cc dirt bike, but then I found that the shuttles I normally use are only $20 to $30 dollars and it sure makes it convenient to have the trailer sitting at the takeout when you get there. If I was using a shuttle 4 times a week I might be inclined to rethink the dirt bike setup. In some spots I have used a bicycle when it is remote and the distance isn't too far. A couple years ago on the middle Green I saw a guy that was using a 125cc motorbike and he had welded a mount to the front of his trailer for the motorbike, it was a pretty slick setup. The middle Green doesn't have anyone doing shuttles so you have to do your own. Below Flaming Gorge, they charge $95 for the shuttle on the "B" section to Browns Park, but then it is a 45 minute drive each way.