The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 PM

strawstalker is on a distinguished road
Default Rio & SA changable leader systems

What do you folks think of the new fly line systems rigged to change tips from floating head to various sinking tips? Are they any good or just a gimic? Thanks, Dan
Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 AM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rio & SA changable leader systems

Hi Dan,

I've been using one from Cabela's this last season. Having the changeable tips is nice, but they do catch a little more in the guides. Not a major problem, I've only had it happen when trying to get line out to cast, never when reeling in a fish. One major thing I don't like about my Cabela's line is it's a whole lot thicker than my old Rio (sinking tip) line and when the wind picks up I can't cast it nearly as well as the Rio. Also means a whole lot less backing than I could carry before. The only other problem I've run into with it is trying to high stick, the slight catching of the loops on the guides seems to be just enough that I can never have my line where I want it.

I am happy enough with the interchangeable system though that I'm thinking of picking up the Rio version to try out next season and see if it might address the couple of things I didn't like about the Cabela's line.

Now all that said, if money and space were not an issue I'd still carry different spools with me instead because I find the standard lines easier to cast when the weather is less than ideal as it usually seems to be.

--W