The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "hat" love

I collected fly shop logo hats for a while and I'll wear a couple of them, but not while fishing.
When I fish, I nearly always wear an "up-downer" (like Lefty). It's not necessarily for sun protection, but that's good too.
More importantly, I can flip the back down to protect the back of my head from the wind. Headaches from a cold breeze blowing down your neck will ruin a fishing trip every time.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I always wear a ball cap. I have a wide assortment with no real favorite at the moment. All the old favorites have been worn out to the point they are non functional. I'll have to take a photo of the current assortment and post it later.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I used to have a bunch of hats. Then I got a bloodhound>>>>>>>>>>

I can't hide them anywhere..
mcnerney and mbphotos54 like this.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Here's my two

May as well add a mugshot!

here's the camo in action

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 05-15-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default my lucky hat

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Gary (Tanner)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

This thread is a great compliment to rod and reel love...I think of my hats as equipment too. I have a bunch; new and old with and without logos, cotton and synthetic but what is most important to me is that they feature a long bill. This not only shades my face from sun but, importantly, my Rx Polarized sun glasses too which enhances my vision. I rarely go fishing without having 2 or 3 from my collection along to suite conditions: how hot, how windy, how stylish (just kidding) or how lucky. I prefere no brand names; if you want me to wear a Budweisser or Orvis hat, pay me to advertise for you!

Here is a relativly new hat made of sun protecting micro fiber, it is light weight, velcro adjustable, has a mesh lining for air circulation, stays on OK when up on plane, has no writing on it and featurs a 4 1/2" long bill.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

This is my lucky/favorite hat.... im very supersitous about it.

I forgot it when we went to Colorado, thats why we got nearly skumked. my favorite non-fishing hat is a realtree camo one I got from my dad's work, much to my wife's dismay.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Lovin this thread!
My favorite hat is a worn out, used-to-be-almost-black CAT hat. I only wear it when fishing now. Its too comfortable to wear anywhere else. That and my wife won't let me wear it anywhere else.
Ill have to get a picture to post.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Like many others, I have too many hats, but here's three I actually have pics of. The first one was my lucky hat, A St. Croix baseball cap made of waxed cotton. I called it lucky after a good friend hit me in the head with a huge half ounce spinnerbait. The guy is twice my size and he hit me so hard trying to cast it I actually dropped to my knees and saw stars. When I recovered I found a two inch tear in the hat, but other than a good bump, I was unscathed. A day later, I caught my first brown trout ever, a two-footer, wearing my lucky hat. Unfortunately, I lost this hat and have been trying to replace it.

This is a good warm hat, and has been appropriately beaten up to look aged and weathered.

But this boonie hat I picked up at an army surplus might be the new lucky hat, and it goes on every fishing trip.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I also collected "found" hats fore a while and everyone "found"was found on the beach.
The best one had a company logo on it that had nothing to do with fishing, but the hat itself had spent so much time in the surf that it was a soft as a cotton diaper.
Except for one thing..
It had barnacles growing on it. . I thought that was the coolest thing

My wife washed it and killed off the barnacles
hey... it was free, and how much good luck do you need while fishing anyway