The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Prescription polarized fishing sunglasses

I just today, took another step towards becoming an old man. I had my eyes checked and need glasses. So my question is who uses prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses? What info would be good to know? Where would be some good places to look? I have never worn prescription glasses in my life so I know nothing on the subject.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Prescription polarized fishing sunglasses

I have a pair I got at the optometrist but there's a lot of side glare. I like the Cocoon fitovers better. They're light, comfortable & fairly inexpensive.
Lately I've been thinking on getting one of those pairs with interchangeable lenses that you can have your prescription lenses put in special inserts that attach to the frame.Bolle Prescription Lens Adapter for Parole and Vigilante Sunglasses FREE S&H 921752000, 921752001. Bolle Performance Eyewear Accessories, Bolle Performance Goggles, Bolle Scanner Accessories, Bolle Packaging Materials, Bolle Live & Preserved Specimen
ak allen likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I have needed to buy them YET, but Maui Jim makes prescription polarized glasses. I use MJ glasses when I fish and absolutely love them.
ak allen likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 PM

I just got home from checking out glasses at the shop on post. I found a possible solution. Oakley makes regular glasses frames, and you can have them fitted with polarized transition lenses. It sounds like the best option so far, unless someone knows of any reason not to go this way???
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to get polarized sunglasses on my next round of eye examinations next fall. Here are a couple of ways that you can get quality optics.

Smith Optics - You can get a Smith prescription order form from a Smith retailer that participates in that program. Take that form to your optometrist to get the prescription filled. Send in the form to Smith. There is a spot on the form for a credit card number. Also right down the name of the shop that you got the form from. Keep in mind that not all Smith retailers are not involved in the program.

Maui Jim - Go to an optometrist that is affiliated with Maui Jim. It can do the basic fitting to do the ordering from MJ.

Dennis
ak allen likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
I have a pair I got at the optometrist but there's a lot of side glare. I like the Cocoon fitovers better. They're light, comfortable & fairly inexpensive.
Lately I've been thinking on getting one of those pairs with interchangeable lenses that you can have your prescription lenses put in special inserts that attach to the frame.Bolle Prescription Lens Adapter for Parole and Vigilante Sunglasses FREE S&H 921752000, 921752001. Bolle Performance Eyewear Accessories, Bolle Performance Goggles, Bolle Scanner Accessories, Bolle Packaging Materials, Bolle Live & Preserved Specimen
Like "50" I also use the Cocoon's when needed due to 'side glare.' The norm is a Costco clip-ons over the normal lens. Works just fine, but I wish I could find a set in 'yellow' for over cast days.

As for a separate set of Prescription Pollies, they're DAMNED EXPENSIVE! Save for you spend a heck of a lot of time on the water (boating as an example) ..... don't bother.

Just my .02 cents.
ak allen likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I talked with my Maui Jim sales rep last week. Depending on one's insurance program, Maui Jim prescription sunglasses can be covered by insurance.

Dennis
ak allen likes this.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I talked with my Maui Jim sales rep last week. Depending on one's insurance program, Maui Jim prescription sunglasses can be covered by insurance.

Dennis
I wish!!! I have Army insurance, they provide glasses only in a wonderful choice of 8 frames, which all look about the same. Anything other than that and I'm on my own. So.... I'm on my own lol
Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak allen View Post
I wish!!! I have Army insurance, they provide glasses only in a wonderful choice of 8 frames, which all look about the same.
The dredded use of the word "uniform" as an adjective, and not just a noun! My little brother retired after 22 yrs active duty, about 4 or 5 years ago, and he still refers to his "old man" or "granny" glasses - those very plain black frame glasses that the Army let him purchase through their eye care plan.

As for me, I'm WAY careless and forgetful to use expensive sun glasses on the water, even with Croakies!!! So I wear contacts, and I pick-up and stockpile cheap poloraized glasses whenever I find a good price or find them on-sale. I picked up a half-dozen pair at an Orvis tent-sale a couple of years ago. Still have 4 pair new, in the box. Reg $45+/-, on clearance for $18.99...... I either use a magnifier clip-on on them for tying knots, or I switch to 2.0+ reading glasses. ($20 for 5 pr at Sam's Club!)

BTW, AK, thank you for your service!!!
ak allen likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I'm a little older then some here and wear bifocals. My prescription did not change last time I went to the opto, but I was eligible under my plan for frames and lenses. so, I had them build me some prescription sun glasses on a Maui Jim frame, amber lenses, polarized, and talked the opto Doc into adding a 3x bifocal section so I could tie flies on easier (the bifocal section is typically 2x strong). They have been great so far (2 seasons) and I can still wear them driving, hiking, etc as only the bifocal section has been upgraded to be a little stronger than normal. All said, these only cost me about $100 over insurance.

d
mikel and ak allen like this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.