The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM

addni is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod transportation

Try searching for the "Allen Cascade Rod & Gear bag"

This beauty has been my saviour, since I only buy 4pc rods. Highly reccomended
Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

When going just a short drive a mile or so down a slow dirt road I set my rod on the windshield under the windshield wiper.

I was shown this last year and you would be surprised how stable it is.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 AM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

I just can't come to understand people putting their rods on the outside of their car exposed to the elements. You spend $300 on a reel and $500 on a rod and drive down the road with it attached to your hood waiting for a branch or rock to come nick it and potentially break it? No amount of inconvenience will ever make me put my rods outside of my car, no matter how cool it looks.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I put my gear through more than a quick drive down the road. While I am a fan of taking care of my gear, I do not put it on a pedestal or obsess over keeping it in perfect cosmetic condition. It's a fishing rod and reel...meant to catch slimy creatures - no more; no less
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Rod transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfly View Post
I just can't come to understand people putting their rods on the outside of their car exposed to the elements. You spend $300 on a reel and $500 on a rod and drive down the road with it attached to your hood waiting for a branch or rock to come nick it and potentially break it? No amount of inconvenience will ever make me put my rods outside of my car, no matter how cool it looks.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
OK, I'll try.

Thousands of fishermen/woman have traveled with rods 'on the out side of the car/truck' and I'm not a ware of of a single incident of rod breakage. As for the reels and rain? They're built to get wet, or I'd sure hope so.

I suspect the possibility of 'something' happening are close to the same as you'd get for any/all rod breakage. And 99.99% of the time that's going to be when the rods actually being fished.

The one type of exterior transportation that I see (that makes me cringe) is guys who have the rod in the back of a pick up with the tips sticking out over the tail gate. To me, "That's an accident looking for a place to happen."
Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

Ive travelled with my rods on the car for days on end, left them outside in the rain, sleet & snow, overnight and what have you. They might be expensive, but they are built to get wet & dirty. If you want a reccomendation for rod holders, try a search for "Sumo Rod Rack" Great equipment!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM

legrand will become famous soon enough

I happened to be near Lake Placid, NY this weekend, and stopped among other places at the Hungry Trout Shop on Hwy 86, near Wilmington. Bought the Prof Bobkin SMT Holder.

Looking forward in trying it.