The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Rod transportation

My flyfishing vehicle is a 2008 Nissan Frontier LE - 4 door. Many fly rods arre longer than then average pickup bed and especially the frontier.

I have this idea to utilize the versitrack system that the truck came with that I will start actually working on soon. Before I do so, what cool products do you have or have you made to make transporting flyrods a bit easier and safe?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: Rod transportation

I guess i just break them down.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I break mine down, but maybe after watching an "expert", you can come up with some other ideas.....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here:Great Products
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I use cargo bars and the rodloft thingies you can buy without the whole setup. My cap and cab both have sliding windows, so I can haul a 13 footer without breaking it down if the weather's nice.
there's more about the setup on my blog.
Gary
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

That is a good set-up. For me, each vehicle I buy is pre-checked with a tape measure to insure rigged 9' rods will fit straight, right down the middle with but one rear seat folded. One might say my vehicle choice is dictated by fly rod transport. The fact that I like manual tranys and responsive small displacment 6's has limited my choices to the point where the rods trump my sports wagon history. The old Passat GLX varient is giving way to a pre-owned Honda Pilot...rods win, engaged driving performance looses.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

99% of the time I'm transporting rigged 12.5 to 15 foot spey rods. IF your vech. has a steel hood and steel top cab the double mag rod holders are a treat. I've a Jeep Liberty (for context) and the rods are at something less than a 45 degree angle and I can do (don't but have) 70 mph down I-5 and they don't even wiggle.

Only 'one off' from that is coming up behind an 18 wheeler, and the air they push around behind them. Hold back or speed up and pass.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I've always taken apart and cased my rods for transportation.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Generally, I break them down when I am done for the day. My main need for this is the trips from spot to spot. On any given day, I may travel to 4, 5, 6, etc...different spots so completely breaking them down is a pain in the but.

I do like those magnet holders and think that something like that could work...though I would modify it slightly to be more of a permanent mount.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The problem I have found with the magnetic exterior holders is not them coming undone but exposing the rods to branches and smaking bugs as we drive the roads along the river. I too do not want to dissasemble rods traveling from one section of a river to another but I like them inside the vehicle.