The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Trout Bum will become famous soon enoughTrout Bum will become famous soon enough
Cool Polarized Sunglass Problems

I've just hit that magic age where I can't see well up close any more. While fishing, with my polarized sunglasses, I can't see well enough to tie on. Prescription polarized sunglasses are very expensive. I've seen all typed of visual aid gadgets but I'm not sure which ones are good or bad. So I'm debating on getting prescription polarized sunglasses or try some vision aids. Does anyone have some experiences here that you'd like to share???

TB
Old 05-01-2005, 04:42 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Polarized Sunglass Problems

Get ahold of Steve, he sent me some sunglasses for some of the work I have done for him and he made the bottom part magnified.. He can help you out.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

Buy a pair of the Flip Focal Lenses which are available at most of the fly fishing shops for about $15-20. Steve probably has them at his mail order shop, The Full Creel. They clip onto the bill of your hat and once you use them you'll never leave home without them. You can tie the smallest flies on with them. I've been using them for about three years and would be lost without them. I have bi-focal polarized sunglasses that I always wear on the water, but these are even better that the prescription glasses because the magnification is greater.

LSU TIGERS!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 AM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Polarized Sunglass Problems

I have the flip focals now too. They are great and can see well enough to tie on the smallest. Just trying to beat old age!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:44 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

"Beat old age", no it's called "joining old age".

LSU TIGERS!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

I wear prescription tri-focal glasses and buying sunglasses to that configuration is not practical. I could probably get by fishing with bi-focals, but then I found the slip overs that Orvis carries (made in Australia I believe) and they work very well. Or at least they did until I lost one of the lens. Oh well, that's a good excuse to get a new pair (make sure you get the amber tint rather than the gray or blue). They're about $40 at Orvis. Haven't checked to see whether Bass Pro or Cabela's carry them, or the FULL CREEL.