The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 AM

NewFlyFisher is on a distinguished road
Default Question on Line Weight

Again - being quite new to this - more questions.

I would be interested in comments indicating what to consider when selecting line weight for my existing 7/8 weight rod and a new 4/5 weight rod taht I am considerring. With the dual designation, I am somewhat unclear what choice to make and what to consider in making it. In both cases I am planning to get a floating WF line and have seen many good suggestions on quality and vendors to consider. Just not sure on weight selection.

Thanks
Larry
Old 12-01-2007, 08:32 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question on Line Weight

go with the heavier line weight..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFlyFisher View Post
Again - being quite new to this - more questions.

I would be interested in comments indicating what to consider when selecting line weight for my existing 7/8 weight rod and a new 4/5 weight rod taht I am considerring. With the dual designation, I am somewhat unclear what choice to make and what to consider in making it. In both cases I am planning to get a floating WF line and have seen many good suggestions on quality and vendors to consider. Just not sure on weight selection.

Thanks
Larry
L

can you try out before you buy if not would agree heavier if you are casting under 50 feet of fly line
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I you're using a double taper, however, I'd probably go with the lighter
weight.

Randy Kadish
Old 12-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Bonefish, see if you can cast the 2 lines for each rod, most fly shops will have a few reels loaded with various wts and tapers.
The heavier the line, the better the rod will load, but you also need to look at the action of the rod, a faster action rod will handle the heavier line easier than a softer action rod generally.

I would also suggest trying different line tapers, I've found that newbies have an easier time casting a w/f line than a d/t, nothing against a d/t line as it has a time and place, but the w/f line seems a bit easier when teaching someone to cast.
J.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree with those above: start out with a WF line an the heavier of the two indicated line weights.

I consider the Cortland 333 lines the starting point for what I call "decent" fly lines. $30+ may seem pricey for "fishin strang", but having a quality line really is quite important. Other brands worth considering are Airflo, Scientific Anglers, Rio, and Orvis.

Best value line for a Beginner: Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Headstart Fly Line at L.L.Bean

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread but I have seen a few people mention "Airflow" lines, I used them years ago but have not seen them in this area for a long time, thought maybe they went under or something, maybe I'm just in the wrong shop.
Are they still made in England?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Pretty sure they are still made in the UK. They're kinda hard to find, but I'm a fan. Still need to get one of their ridge lines to try out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM

NewFlyFisher is on a distinguished road

Well - took some action on this this week. I finally purchased a 5 wt. rod (TFO signature series - 4 piece - 9'). As I see it as my go to dry fly rod, I did want to put good line on it. I chose the Rio Selective Trout - hopefully it will be a good choice.

As for my 7/8 wt. rod, although, I did not purchase anything yet, thanks to the input I will be getting an 8 weight, but will probably stay with something a little less price, Mainstream, or 333 or ???

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:15 PM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

The rule of thumb to buy the heavier line for a rod with two designated sizes is because a novice fly fisher often has an uncertain feel for the way a rod and line feel when being cast. The heavier line makes itself felt more definitely. Later, after more experience, fly casters often prefer a lighter line as their sense of touch has developed.

If the rod/reel combo is chosen to emphasize delicacy over power, that may well tip the choice (for a dual line-weight rod) toward the lighter line; for a heavier power rod, the default choice should go toward the heavier line: a 9-weight line for an 8/9 rod.

Airflo lines (drop the w) have a respectable share of the U.S. market. They are quite competitive in the spey line arena.