The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM

bks is on a distinguished road
Default Fly/Popper retriever pole?

The majority if not all of my fly fishing is on oxbow lakes with poppers and flies for bream,bass.

Has anyone ever thought of, or made a small pole to assist in retrieving snagged poppers/flies from brush? I don't mean to sound dumb, but having to lean way over or drive the front of the boat up into this stuff just plain sucks. My wife fishes with me a lot and is terrified of snakes, I ain't real fond of them either, and there are usually a LOT of them where we fish.

My rough/redneck vision(as I sit here at work and daydream) is a two or three foot section of small pvc pipe or aluminum tubing with a fork on the end, sorta like a wire hook disgorger?

May be a waste of time, but just feel like it would be worthwhile...
Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly/Popper retriever pole?

Your aluminum pole idea would be ideal, as it will be fairly light, stiff and collapsible, unlike PVC or fiberglass. I doubt you'd even need the fork which would get caught in branches as you fed it to the fly. Just get the hook point in the end of the tube and you should be able to free it, provided it hasn't wrapped around a branch (the real problem you'll likely run into).

Just find an Al pole from a tent that's getting thrown out and you should be set.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

It's funny you mention that.
Weekend before last I was fishing the river, throwing parallel to the bank on the grass line. I wasn't paying attention behind me and stuck my popper 8 feet up into an overhanging tree limb on the backcast, can't reach it in the kayak.
My buddy see's me staring up into the treelimb and yells "what's up". "My favorite popper". It's my most productive popper, actually the first fly that I bought and I caught my first fish on the fly with it, and it's still catching fish.

He said he could get it, took his 7 foot heavy baitcasting rod and reeled the jig to the tip so the hook was sticking straight out, put hook into hook and yanked it out like nothing.

So I would say you have a good idea, try putting a dulled off 2/0 hook on it.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fly/Popper retriever pole?

I wonder about a pole with small branch pruners on it (not a polesaw). If the popper is wrapped around a small branch just cut the branch and untangle it.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

...... I just saw this
I used to carry in my vest a rig that was basically a hook made from a piece of coat hanger with the shank end just long enough so that when you stuck the shank into the tip-top of your rod, it would stay. Attached to this hook was a length of cord.
When your fly was stuck up in a tree you'd stick this thing in the rod's tip-top and then use the rod to reach up and hook the branch. Then you'd put the rod down and use the cord to pull the branch down to where you could grab the fly.

There was a commercial version of this at some point too that I remember thinking was a little more practical, but I don't remember why

Last edited by Rip Tide; 07-06-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

I usually have an 8' or 9' fly removal pole in my hand whenever I'm fishing. I just strip line all the way up to the fly and use my rod to poke it loose.