The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM

greenfish4 is on a distinguished road
Default Redington sonic pro waders

I am gearing up for a trip in a couple of weeks and am about to order some waders. I was going to get the simms freestone waders but I just noticed the redington sonic pro's. To me they look like a good deal, can't speak to the construction necessarily but the features look good.

I was curious if anyone had any experience with these? I would like to get at least 2 seasons of somewhat hard fishing out of whatever I purchase.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redington sonic pro waders

I have had my Sonic Pro Zipper waders since they were released. I have put over 100 days fishing in them. So far, no leaks.

My only peeve about them is the breathability. Moisture can build up in them. It won't be so noticable that you will get soaked in your own sweat, but you will notice the moisture when you take the waders off.

I have compared notes with some of my friends in the industry. Its breathability is about on par with most other non-Gore Tex brand membranes.

For its cost, I think the Sonic Pro line up is a lot of value for the money. If you want a better set of waders, get yourself a premium Simms or Patagonia.

Dennis
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair in their third year. I have done some patching, but they are still working great. Pretty sure my waders have several hundred days in them so far. I have frog toggs too; the butt leaks and they are almost brand new
So I still wear my reddingtons almost every time (until they die completely...)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM

I think they are the right wader for me right now, I do a lot of bushwacking, and just generally am hard on products. I think I will go for them and get some nice Simms some other year.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I have had my Sonic Pro Zipper waders since they were released. I have put over 100 days fishing in them. So far, no leaks.

My only peeve about them is the breathability. Moisture can build up in them. It won't be so noticable that you will get soaked in your own sweat, but you will notice the moisture when you take the waders off.

I have compared notes with some of my friends in the industry. Its breathability is about on par with most other non-Gore Tex brand membranes.

For its cost, I think the Sonic Pro line up is a lot of value for the money. If you want a better set of waders, get yourself a premium Simms or Patagonia.

Dennis
How do you find the shoe sizes to be with these waders, I have a size 13 foot and it looks like that puts me in the xxl catagory.

Last edited by greenfish4; 06-05-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I love my Sonic Pro's. I got the waist high's, so can't comment on the upper half layout of the waders, but the durability is fantastic. I'm over 100 hard days of bushwacking in them, and still haven't put a single hole in them. My next wader will in fact be the exact same model.

Like Mosca stated earlier, the breathability is decent, but not on par with the $500 waders out there. Then again, you're paying a mere fraction of the price for a wader that I've found to be more durable than my Simms.

As far as shoe size goes, It seems to be right on par with the other brands as far as I could tell. I wear a size 12 shoe, size 13 wading boot, and the XL's fit me perfectly, although they are a little big on the waist. The larges I had were just a bit too small in the foot for me.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I only have a couple weeks on my non-zip version but like them so far. I find the feet a little big on mine and the plastic clip on the gravel cuff too tight for easy connection to the boot laces much less my custom boot-loop. If I am not mistaken, please corect me if I am wrong, these waders employ a coated fabric rather than a faux-Gore membrane. Coated material is not as breathable as the more costly membrane type but Redington uses plenty of layered reinforcment to protect lower legs, seat and knees from springing pin holes. The suspender system is average but the chest treatment is high end with a too elaborate pocket and zippered hand warmer section. The belt (included) is wide and elasticized with well placed loops on the waders. So far so good and by September I will have an opinion on their salient feature; the welded seams.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 PM

I think these waders will definitely suffice for now, i was looking for a pair of durable waders that didn't cost a fortune, hopefully I found them. The only bummer is that I had to get them in 2xl to assure my feet would fit. I think it will work out well though because I am 6'5'' and weigh 250+. I know I would have fit body wise into the xl's but maybe this is a good thing. In the long run maybe these will be my bundled up early and late season waders (xl's don't leave a lot of room for layering for me)

I also went with a pair of korkers redsides (the newest model which has the same sole as the chromes).

Ended up getting all this stuff from crystal fly shop in Colorado and they have been super helpful, every time you call the owner answers etc.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

6'5" 250#!!!
You my man are most definitely XXL.

I wear the XL's at 5'11", 205#, size 13's. Make sure to get your wading boots in a 14. I ordered some stuff from Crystal too, good service.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
6'5" 250#!!!
You my man are most definitely XXL.

I wear the XL's at 5'11", 205#, size 13's. Make sure to get your wading boots in a 14. I ordered some stuff from Crystal too, good service.
I Went with the size 14 korkers, I really enjoyed the experience of dealing with crystal fly shop, super cool guy. I am glad I went with the XXL's thanks for the input.