The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
On the topic of alternative studs, these seem to be gaining popularity amongst those in the fly fishing crowd. I haven't gone this route, I'm using the same Simms studs in Ard's review.

Tip: Stop Grossly Overpaying for Wading Boot Studs | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
Have a box of these .... that I actually purchased/sent to me out of the UK. Haven't had the 'opportunity' to put same in the bottom of boots, but to say they (what they were designed/used for) are MOST impressive/aggressive would be an understatement.

fae
Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

Noiso

I have had the Patagonia Rock grips for about 4 months and am pretty happy with them. My foot is a 12 so I ordered one sz up 13 and they are pretty big! so now I use them for winter with my thick socks and waders with 3mm stockings. These are very light boots! comfortable like wearing house slippers. I also wear Simms freestones and have been happy with them for years although a little (alot) heavier. I notice (while wearing) the Rock grips don't have as wide of a footbed as the freestones which tends to make me concentrate on my footing and stability more. The sole is softer and tends to flex more while walking/wading which is a plus and brings back that comfortability issue. Overall I have been happy with the Patagonia rock grips and would recommend them if your shoe size is 15? or smaller? Studs do come with them but I never installed them due to bad experience falling on dry land with studs and the studs they come with are huge!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM

henry_giles is on a distinguished road

Very good boots indeed - if undeniably somewhat pricey. Please see my review on fishandfly.com
Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I just picked up a pair of these. I got small feet. I had a pair of size 6 Sticky Boot Patagonias but the Rio Gallegos booties made wearing those impossible without taking out the shoe foot bed.

So I ordered the 6 and 7 Rock Grips. The 6 was roomier than the Stick Boot 6, but I prefer some room to layer a pair of wool sock underneath when it gets really cold. So I kept the size 7. I'll be wearing the new rock grips out next week...hitting a privately stocked spring creek. It has both silty areas and rocky areas. Photos and further review to come.

I've looked at the crampon style aluminium bars. I'm considering those over my Patagonia sticky boots for summer wet wading. These size 7's are a tad roomy when I wear them with 3mm neoprene booties, but we'll see if I fall all over the place this summer.