The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

I saw an ad for these on a fly fishing blog. I will never buy a pair because they don't make my size - they stop 1-2 sizes short depending on how big/small they run (yes I AM still whining about this!).

Has anybody tried these boots - or more specifically this type of cleat system? Doesn't it look like the easiest thing in the world to do yourself?

Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

I just put up a review of the Grip Studs wading cleat products. If you are in the market I have been wading then from little free stone streams in Pennsylvania last month the the deep swift & slippery rivers here at home and like the performance

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I swear by my Rivershed boots, best boot I have owned. Simms boots just seem to fit my foot better and certainly have the support that I'm looking for.

I'd bet anyone who's got the means to work with metal could crank those out pretty easily.

Speaking of Riversheds--now that you've had time on the water in yours Ard, how do you like them? I read your review on the studs which was great btw! Just curious as to your thoughts on those boots.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hijack in progress

I love the boots; the most comfortable wading I may ever have used. But I like the Grip Studs better

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hijack in progress

I love the boots; the most comfortable wading I may ever have used. But I like the Grip Studs better
Threadjack in progress indeed. Thanks for your sharing your input on the boots and various stud options Ard.

My apologies Noiso!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of Allie bars on the bottom of boots is not new by a long shot. Dan Bailey had what they called 'Stream cleats' which were an 'over shoe' you put on over your regular wading boot. The bottoms were 'wwwww' shaped bars. 'Clunkie' to just walk around in, but those bars will stick to any river bottom .... and I do mean any.

Allie is a soft metal and there for grab/cuts through just about anything. Run a metal drift boat solidly on a rock and you'll see what I mean.

Enough metal on these to do the job? Time, and someone with an extra $200+ bucks will have to report back on that. Candidly, you could take a 1/4'' allie bar and cut off sections to fit your existing felt bottom boots. Drill screw holes in the sections and apply with 8 x 1/2" screws and you're good to go for pennies on the dollar.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Threadjack approved.

I am thinking about a pair of Simms anyway - the Freestones come in my size, but I need to try on a pair. I have also been looking at grip studs, Simms cleats and searching threads and sites on DIY cleats with machine screws. I'd love to see a link for the "Grip Studs" (and perhaps a link to your review Ard.) If you are going to hijack do it right. Do it with style. Ask yourself,"What would D.B. Cooper do?"

It actually took me a moment to find this on Google: Grip Studs Home Page

This was easier: Ard's Gripstuds/Hard Bite Star Cleat shootout - I look forward to reading it in its entirety.

Any and all info is welcome on this topic - cleats, studded boots, and DIY. I'll whine again, nobody makes my size - so any help on making my own or finding my size would be great.

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Siiiigggghhhhhhh soo000 simples.

I'm going to assume these are felt bottom boots ....

Go to a 'big box store' and get yourself a box of #8 x 1/2 Allie sheet metal headed screws. As long as you've got a 1/2" of boot bottom these will never penetrate into the inside of the boot. Never as in NEVER.

Verible speed hand drill and boots done in 5 - 8 minutes ... even if you're fumbling a bit. Which you may well do the first time you do this 'retro-fit.'

Where do they go? 2" apart along the OUT SIDE EDGES of the felt has been by experience over the last 20 some'ish years. I don't put/sprinkle any down the middle."Your mileage may vary," but this way I get the bennies of both felt and studs.

Why? For me anyway, it's the rocks on the out side of where your standing that cause most of the 'problems;' assuming your wading 'safe.' (That boys and girls is why every one should be using a solid, NOT A FOLD UP, wading staff. Advertising, Ya-Hoossss,
of these things can kill you. Moving water (hydraulics) don't read the press releases; it just does what it does.

And you're TOAST.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM

On the topic of alternative studs, these seem to be gaining popularity amongst those in the fly fishing crowd. I haven't gone this route, I'm using the same Simms studs in Ard's review.

Tip: Stop Grossly Overpaying for Wading Boot Studs | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Patagonia is also making aluminum crampons but I'm not sure if they are adjustable to Shaq sized shoes. milt.