The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 PM

kim ciara is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pimped my ride

Joni! Nice rig! I really like it!

This would not work for me, though... my Sheltie always fishes with me, so when on a lake or pond, have to use my canoe. This canoe weighs 66-pounds, and is a PIA for me to deal with by myself. With someone else along, it's not bad at all, but would really like something I could easily deal with myself that is dog-friendly...

Pike fishing with Bonnie...

Click the image to open in full size.

(Gratuitous pic of the lake... Lovely!)

I would love an 'inflatable' option, but so far, everything I've looked at is not "dog friendly." Float tubes are something I've been interested in, but no way my Sheltie is going to sit in my lap the entire time! ha! And I've thought about inflatable canoes, but somehow those just don't appeal to me.

Any suggestions to something very lightweight and extremely portable (as in 'hike-in' locations)?

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.
madjoni likes this.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hey Kim you might want to check out the Old Town Guide 119. Its a solo rig but I'm sure your pup will ride comfortably and its only 43lbs. Not a feather weight but not too bad either. I believe it'll carry up to around 500lbs.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim ciara View Post
Joni! Nice rig! I really like it!

This would not work for me, though... my Sheltie always fishes with me, so when on a lake or pond, have to use my canoe. This canoe weighs 66-pounds, and is a PIA for me to deal with by myself. With someone else along, it's not bad at all, but would really like something I could easily deal with myself that is dog-friendly...

Pike fishing with Bonnie...

(Gratuitous pic of the lake... Lovely!)

I would love an 'inflatable' option, but so far, everything I've looked at is not "dog friendly." Float tubes are something I've been interested in, but no way my Sheltie is going to sit in my lap the entire time! ha! And I've thought about inflatable canoes, but somehow those just don't appeal to me.

Any suggestions to something very lightweight and extremely portable (as in 'hike-in' locations)?

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.

I get the needing the room for your buddy.

madjoni likes this.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM

kim ciara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Hey Kim you might want to check out the Old Town Guide 119. Its a solo rig but I'm sure your pup will ride comfortably and its only 43lbs. Not a feather weight but not too bad either. I believe it'll carry up to around 500lbs.
Hi wt bash!

I do have a nice little solo canoe that has a canvas hull. Weighs literally nothing! It does fit into my truck-camper, but jeez... I have to sleep in there, huh? I'm tired of 'dirty' things in there!

When I go fishing, things have to fit either inside my truck-camper, or I have to take a little flat-bed trailer. I'm trying to phase-out the trailer... I camp and travel light, anyway, and am trying to just be able to do it with the truck camper. Something inflatable that packs down to next-to-nothing would be ideal for me. And have looked for several years at different things (float tubes and such) only to find too many reasons why that wouldn't work for me.

One day I'll find that solution, eh?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I get the needing the room for your buddy.

Joni! Is that a daschund? (did I spell that right? *smile*)

Do you have a better pic? It's hard to imagine where this spot is on your floater...

Cute doggie, by the way!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Awesome! I just picked up the Skykomish Sunrise from Dave and it is pretty pimp. I am gonna hit you up to pick your brain on the accessories as I need some of that stuff.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We have several "inflatable" boats that have room for a buddy. That is Baxter.
Here is the XX:

Here is the Renegade:

There is a lot of room back there, but I also use a deck at times:

And there is the X5

And all these boats fit in a suitcase:

madjoni and darwin like this.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Holy Molly Joni.. cool rig you got there. I love it!!
I wish I can have one like that too but I can't.. not until I learn to swim. At my age, probably it's late to learn. LOL

May I add a suggestion. How about an iPad dock so that you can enjoy podcast just in case fish are slow. j/k
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM

I have never needed to swim, knock on wood, but you could always wear the PFD :-)
I have been taking my Smart Phone, but an iPad would be easier to see...LOL
Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 AM

coug will become famous soon enough

Wow! That is an incredible setup!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

My wife's strict policy is that if dont swim, I cant have a kayak or any type of fishing boat. She is so concern that I would drown. I told her I would only go for less than 10 feet ponds or lake or maybe hug the water edges and no fast current. Oh yes, I already own a PFD, *hint" that I will be getting an inflatable. But the answer I always get is "no". And she said, what the hell do I need a PFD vest for just wading into a few feet of waters. what?!? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have never needed to swim, knock on wood, but you could always wear the PFD :-)
I have been taking my Smart Phone, but an iPad would be easier to see...LOL

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

I see that Baxter found his seat..
And by its looks, this is his thoughts.. "that would be a great for dinner". LOL