The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vest.....chest pack....or.....?

I have chestpacks and vests. I use a chestpack during the winter/spring for a spring creek I fish. Temps can be from 20 to 60 and the straps adjust to how many layers of clothes I have on, and I can stash whatever I want to take off or put on in the backpack part of it. My vest cannot do that. I use an old (15y) mesh vest during summer because the chestpack is too hot for me. I also like the vest because I can keep things more organized than the chest pack. I just stash a box of flies, an extra leader, and a spool of tippet in my waders during steelhead season.

Tried lanyards for part of a season and did not like all the stuff around my neck. I just have some shoestring that I tie my nippers to now.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Filson Strap vest dry finish, love mine looks better with age
Old 06-16-2012, 10:31 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

Columbia PFG vest. can't beat the user functionality of a vest with easy access storage and D-ring for net. I use a patagonia hip pack from time to time but if I wade deep I get all my gear wet! so it has its limited use. A lanyard I will use when I'm tinkering around on spring creeks with a few fly boxes in my cargo shorts pockets mostly wet wading in the summer. When I'm going to be on the water all day and carrying an extra spool and lunch and net and loaded down for battle I always revert back to the vest.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 AM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

I've tried vest, fanny pack, and chest pack.

The vest was great for organization since there was practically a pocket for every item. But I always felt like I was carrying more vest material than supplies. I didn't like that it shifted around when climbing/scrambling over obstacles or running. During warm weather, it just becomes another layer of clothing to keep you hot. Capacity in the rear is decent for carrying a light rain parka, some snacks, and a 500 mL water bottle.

The fanny pack kept my upper body unencumbered and cool in warm weather. It was a hassle pulling it around from the rear to the side or front to find or reach for items. Doing so just twisted my pants and shirt around. Capacity was limited to tackle, a sandwich, and a water bottle. There's simply no room for clothing layers for a full day of fishing.

The chestpack that I currently use was designed to be part of a backpack system. The backpack is expandable and big enough to hold a hydration bladder, rain gear, first aid kit, survival supplies, lunch, a fleece layer in cold weather, or a place to stow waders when hiking out during in the summer. When I'm not hiking in and just fishing close to the car, I leave the backpack behind and use just the chestpack. The waist belt for the chest pack can be used as a shoulder strap and the chest pack becomes a more comfortable sling pack. I like the flexibility of this system. Whether I'm dayhiking 5 miles into a lake at 11,000' or fishing streamside 20 yards from the car, a backpack/chestpack system has it covered. Take as much as you need, leave what you don't behind.

If there is one thing I don't like about the chestpack and waistpack is that it lacks the discreet organization of a vest. It has internal and external compartments, but the internal compartments are often simply loose pockets. Items have a way of getting mixed up inside like a tossed salad. I hate having to dig through a couple fly boxes, split shot case, camera, packets of strike indicator, sink tips, 6 tippet spools that came apart, and packets of different leaders to find that one, last 9' 5X leader.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 PM

jeed will become famous soon enough

so far i'm a huge fan of my fishpond wildhorse tech pack. front has a vest-like approach with enough pockets and option to satisfy my organization glitch, and a big enough backpack to carry a medkit, rain jacket, lunch, and assorted goodies, ontop of the 100oz. hydration bladder. to top it off, its very comfortable., so i can hike with it as well. now if i could find a way to get rid of the waders bag i carry, i'de be all set...
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
If there is one thing I don't like about the chestpack and waistpack is that it lacks the discreet organization of a vest. It has internal and external compartments, but the internal compartments are often simply loose pockets. Items have a way of getting mixed up inside like a tossed salad. I hate having to dig through a couple fly boxes, split shot case, camera, packets of strike indicator, sink tips, 6 tippet spools that came apart, and packets of different leaders to find that one, last 9' 5X leader.
Its this reasoning i think im gonna go with a vest. When i had my old setup i had a vest, and liked the way it kept everything organized, think it had 30 pockets. The only downside was it was a bit warm, but most times it wasnt too bad, and if im up to waist in the water, it was fine. My 12 year old has a William Joseph Mag Amp chest pack I could use, but the chest pack seems to take some getting used too. i like being able to keep all my flies on board if i am hiking a ways. Right now i do most of my fly fishing relatively close to the truck, so my little waist pack does the job. But when I finally decide what wader i will go with, i will be needing more space for 2 full fly boxes, extra reel and all the other gear, and would rather not submerge all my gear if i can help it. Although i have fallen with my vest and soaked everything anyway. usually the only thing i worry about is the cell phone, but have a dry pouch for that.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll throw a vote in for the Fishpond Blue river Chest/lumbar pack. I LOVE the think plus it has a million pockets all over the inside. If you really want to keep from overloading it and staying organized a lanyard with a few things woulding hurt, and i've thought about getting one so the pack is even less cluttered. I started wearing it as a chest pack but have gradually begun to wear it back and to the side just slung, unbelievably comfortable. They tend to be pretty popular with me and the guys I fish with, I think four of us all have one.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:54 PM

vedavoochris is on a distinguished road

I am just getting into fly fishing, and I have found that when I am in the water the less gear I am carrying the better. Being a minimalist I like a chest pack in which I can carry only the necessities (fly box or 2, extra tippet, nippers, etc...) When I want to carry a bit more I like a sling pack that doesn't impact my casting or movement. Simplicity is key.

Cheers