The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Vest.....chest pack....or.....?

What do you guys use and why? I have been just using a fanny/hip pack. it was cheap and hold the basics, rest goes in my pockets.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vest.....chest pack....or.....?

I stopped wearing the vest years ago. I always found ways to overload it.

Whenever I can, I wear a lanyard and stuff whatever I can into my pockets. Sometimes I shove a box down the front of my waders.

I have a couple of chest packs when I need to carry a bit more.

When I have to hike some distance, I use a hydration pack. I can stuff a few items that might come in handy (rain jacket, food, first aid, fly boxes).

Dennis
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

a BIG canvas purse with a shoulder strap.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Filson's Foul weather fishing vest. I love it, carried everything I need, plus lunch in the back. And I love the look of it.
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 06-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a vest guy.
I tried a chest pack exactly one day. Couldn't see my feet

I never understood when people say that they overload their vests. Mine have empty pockets on purpose.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

Ive been using this bag for about 3 years now. Held up great, fits what I need. I wouldnt wade with it however. Has a shoulder strap and two hoops to hang from your belt as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

$13, free shipping. Cant beat it.

Swiss Fly Fishing Bag - Uncle Sams Army Navy Outfitters
kayo likes this.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:36 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Foul Weather Fly Fishing Vest | Filson

This works great for me.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
That is a sweet looking simple get it done vest!
She aint cheeap though!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Lanyard and simms waist / sling pack. Carries more than I need which is handy.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Hip pack for me all season so far.
It's submergible so I can wade in deep and fall in.
Swing it around to the front, everything is right there. To the back, out of sight out of mind.

Poor Filson vest has been sitting neglected but it gets way more use when I am wet wading so that will change soon.
I don't like having multiple suspenders/straps/belts on, when I wear a vest with waders feels like I'm being strangled slowly.

Steelheader's Anonymous.