The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM

dennis_t is on a distinguished road
Default Question on Waders

First what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of neoprene waders to whatever the other type of waders is called?

And the same thing as far as boot type compared to stocking foot?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Waders

Dennis: When I lived in Alaska I used 5 mm neoprene waders, they are great for really cold wx, but for normal fishing here in the lower 48 you're better off with light weight breathables (gortex, etc). Sometimes I will wear the neoprene waders when I'm fishing the dead of winter, but other than that I don't use them. I've always had stocking foot waders with separate wading boots. For me I like the idea of a better fit around the ankles, but YMMV.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have both stockingfoot and bootfoot waders.

As an analogy, think of the stockingfoot/wading boot combo as hiking boots and the bootfoot waders as sneakers.
Now, is where you're planning on fishing more of a hiking boot kinda place ? or would you be just as happy with the sneakers ?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've had both boot foot and stocking foot. I prefer stocking foot. The advantages of boot foot is they come on one piece and, if you do a lot of fishing in the winter, it might be a bit easier to layer up underneath them. For me, the advantages of stocking foot are that they are more comfortable, easier to walk/hike in, and when it's warm I can just wear the boots (with neoprene booties) and have great traction without the waders.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Question on Waders

Two excellent, and simply put, posts on the topic. Nailed it.

fae
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Although I have never used neoprene waders, I have heard they are awfully hot in the warmer weather.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The only thing I woulds like to add,as the subject has been well answered is The Neoprene Waders do get hot & I wouldn't wear them in Summer because you perspire in them immensely which can lead to Smelly Waders if they aren't consistently cleaned.
So they both have their fors & againsts,as pointed out some people have Both for Winter & Summer.
Because there are no Snakes in New Zealand most people wear Thermal Longjohns over shorts with Wading Boots & Gravel Guards.
Brian.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I gave up neoprene years ago while living and winter steelheading in Michigan. Neo waders never allowed perspiration to leave so I got cold and clamy wearing them, not to mention pretty ripe smelling! I even used the breathable/fleece garb for ice fishing. Walking out on the ice really gets you working up a sweat and then you get to sit still on a bucket in the wind. Before the breathables it was very hard to keep comfortable doing that.
If you think about it, neo works because tiny air bubbles in the material traps air that your body heats to keep you warm. This is the same thing good fleece does under breathable waders but the benefits of the breathable/fleece stuff is that moisture is wicked away and out of the breathable membrane thus keeping you warmer, drier and more comfortable. The breathables and fleece also stretch nicely and aren't nearly as hard to put on and take off.
I have bootfoot and stocking foot waders. Most times I use the stocking foots saving the bootfoots for the surf, pontooning in cold water and sometimes when in a drift boat... anywhere technical wading isn't called for. When I was working I always carried the bootfoots in the company car for a quick dash in the water. They fit over suit pants quick and easy!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Although I have never used neoprene waders, I have heard they are awfully hot in the warmer weather.
Ah come on Mff! Sherlie yu gust? Yr'e 50 pnds ovwait and u wnat to loosit al in duy. Sute up in 1 off thoose ad run round 4 a cuple of hurs. U wull loset all thut extra fut.

Eazy, swut wull bee runing of U; gaume ovfer.

Stuplatun: I't muss bee aut lust 90 dagurees in the shude. Mom Nutue wull tuke car off the rust.

Oar su I'm tuld.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I think the Gore-tex with neoprene stocking foots and a good set of boots is the way to go... Fished my setup for years now in temps from 22 degrees to 90 in the summer (rolled down to the waist). If in varying temps like I tend to be, I'd go with a quality convertible wader.

For those needing the utmost traction, I just got my dad some of the Patagonia boots with the aluminum bars... Everything I've heard/read says that these are better than felt, and we all know that felt is going the way of the dinosaur...