The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: Which wader?
G4 Pro 1 9.09%
G3 Guide 7 63.64%
Other 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Wader selection

I've narrowed my selection down to the G4 Pro or G3 Guide. Which one and why?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM

addni is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wader selection

Friend of mine just got the G4, and swears by them. I'll use his vote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not long ago I was contemplating G4 or G3 waders and decided on the G3's. I opted to save myself $130 and still managed to get an incredible product. You can't go wrong with either to be honest. I have worn waders from LL Bean and Orvis and currently have an SST Patagonia jacket and nothing breathes better than gore tex.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've got the "other". Can't go wrong with either of those, I just know I can take care of business easier with mine.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

The big thing for my choice of the G3 over the G4 was the extra layer of Gortex on the G4. You still get the 5 layer and the 3 layers in the G3 but the 5 layer doesn't come up as high. For me, I didn't want it so I went with the G3's. I tried on the G4's and they're wonderful boots and no doubt a fine product. It was more boot that I need, though and I expected warmer than I wanted when I fish in the summer.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

The water up here in the U.P. tends to run cool. If warmer, I wear shorts and tennis shoes. I do usually end up going through a lot of brush getting to my favorite places, so I'm wondering if the extra layers of Gore-Tex might help protect the boot.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
The water up here in the U.P. tends to run cool. If warmer, I wear shorts and tennis shoes. I do usually end up going through a lot of brush getting to my favorite places, so I'm wondering if the extra layers of Gore-Tex might help protect the boot.
Depends. I run through tall grass and bushwack quite a bit. I've not had problems with the G3's. It's not the water that is the issue for me in the heat, it's being out of the water. The extra layer is around the crotch and the seat so if most of your heavy contact with brush is on the lower legs you'll be ok. Heat was my main consideration for the G3's.

I will say that I bought a pair of waist highs for warmer days now and when I don't need to get deeper. I can see myself again seriously considering the G4's next time around as a result, if only for added durability around the crotch which does eventually leak on all waders. Still don't know if I'd pay that extra coin though. It's a pretty big outlay.

As a side not on the waist high waders. I bought the freestone waders which are Toray and not Gortex because I wanted to see if I would like a waist high boot. I absolutely love being in a waist high because they are cooler. But Toray doesn't breathe on these boots anything like Gortex.

Cheers,
Mike.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I picked up a pair of G3 guide waders early this year. They are great.... so far. They convert easily from chest waders to hip-wader height. They seem to be a quality product, but I have only fished in them approx. 10 times so far. After a full season, I would be better able to make a better recommendation.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the G3....three seasons...at least 80 outings a year...no leaks,no problemthe best waders I've ever had
Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Do you have to order them or is there somewhere up 'der you can see and feel the difference? I can't tell the difference from the Simms website (I think Simms does a pretty crappy job of showing the features, etc of their products on the website).

I have a pair of the good old Gore-Tex Guide waders and love them. They don't have any of the bells and zingers of the "G"s but they are damn solid. And very comfortable. I have had them for at least 7 years and never had a single issue. I'm not sure what the extra two layers of Gore-Tex do for you except lighten you wallet and make the whole wader heavier.

Gore-Tex breathes, yeah, but like now or in the fall when the mornings are 45 degrees the water is cold I want to wear my waders. By 2 in the afternoon it can be 80 degree and it still gets pretty clammy inside there. Every layer is just going to make it worse, I reckon.

I suppose it depends on if you like the pockets - plus for sure, but worth the $$, I don't know that's why we also have vests and packs and ... - To me, the convertible feature on the G3 would the game changer, it always feels good to slip the suspenders off to cool down and I would love it if I could fish like that.