The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM

2012185 is on a distinguished road
Default Chest Pack Recommendations?

I hate to be that guy always asking questions, but I figured if I am going to do it, I might as well do it right! So today I am asking if anyone has an recommendations for a good affordable chest pack. I hear mixed reviews on chest packs, but when I think about it, it'll probably suit me best over a vest or side pack.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chest Pack Recommendations?

I've tried both vests and sling bags and have been most happy with a Simms headwaters chestpack (I think that's what it's called). See if you can find it on sale, though I bought my for deep discount at a show, I had previously seen it for a pretty low price.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

+1 for the Simms headwaters pack. can wear it low for a waiste pack too

Not water proof. Lots of room. i combine mine with a lanyard and I am set. Wish it had a little more room for a packable rain jacket (also a simms) and i can if I over stuff it.

It also hooks up to the headwaters backpack if you want to really gear it out.

no worries about asking gear questions. How else are you going to figure out if it is any good. I ask all of the time. Heck most of my posts are questions.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Yea, those simms look pretty nice AJ. Not too big, not to small...It's Goldilocks ...Keep me posted....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 AM

saloman is on a distinguished road

I went through the same process and settled on the Fishpond Blue River. It's neither a true sling, lumbar pack or a chest pack, which is what I liked about it. You can easily swing it around from front to back when you need access, and it has ample space for whatever you need without becoming excessively heavy. It's also got a nice band on the front to attach multiple zingers, forceps, etc.

Definitely worth taking a look at. Here's a link.

fishpond - BLUE RIVER CHEST/LUMBAR PACK
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

The market is soooo saturated with fishing packs; waist packs, chest packs, sling packs...it is really difficult. After looking at so many brands and models and styles I was ready to just go back to the vest.

I tried a Simms Dry Creek chest pack, I liked that it wasn't hard or molded. I used it one day fishing and I hated it. It didn't stay close to my chest and was constantly in the way. I realized that I just can't have anything right in front of me that high on my body. I was able to return it. Whatever you get, leave the tags on it and fill it up with everything you will carry fishing, then wear it around you house doing some chores. Maybe go false cast in your yard to see if it interferes with you motion, if line gets caught on it, if when you lean over to unhook fish it gets in the way, etc. For the cost of these things, it isn't worth being uncomfortable.

What I did find in exchange is a Patagonia sling pack. I've worn it couple times now and think it is the best fishing pack I've come across. I'd review it more if you're interested.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I tried a fanny pack for one trip and did not go well because I wade in there pretty deep some times. I have a fishpond chest pack. I bought mine a couple of years ago and there were two choices for the front of the pack and I chose the larger. I bought because the only fishing I have during winter and early spring is a spring creek, and it allows me to throw in / take off an extra layer in the backpack part. I do not use it for most of my fishing because the front pack is too small for me. It will hold two fly boxes, and that is what I use for the spring creek, but the rest of the time I carry 3 or 4. I much prefer a very old mesh vest I have from Patagonia to the chest pack. It is much cooler in summer, fits in 3 or 4 boxes if I want to carry them, and I find it much more comfortable. I also like having separate pockets for tippet, fly float, etc. But that is just me, others swear by the smaller packs.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Im a chest pack junkie. Love them. I would recommend the William Joeseph Current chest pack with the magnetic closures. Works great. Great quality at a great price.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

What I did find in exchange is a Patagonia sling pack. I've worn it couple times now and think it is the best fishing pack I've come across. I'd review it more if you're interested.

Dean: I would appreciate your review of the Patagonia. I was interested in it & could not find much info (real user comments) for it.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Dean: I would appreciate your review of the Patagonia. I was interested in it & could not find much info (real user comments) for it.
Glad to; as I said, I have spent too much time looking at different packs to do what I want while fishing. But rather than hijack this thread I have posted it in the gear reviews: Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling