The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM

shirtrippa is on a distinguished road
Default Need to find a new pack

Hi everyone

So I am trying to find a new pack for fly fishing and I'm having a hard time finding the one I want and need your help.

I would like a lumbar pack with pouches on the sides for fly boxes and water bottle holder(s), places to hang my forceps, floatant, nippers, etc., there's plenty of these out there right? But here's the catch, I want one with 2 shoulder straps. Something similar to this one attached to the link, but for fly fishing...Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Sorry for the huge link, I hope you guys can help me! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need to find a new pack

Not at all a lumbar pack, but if you want shoulder straps, this is pretty good.

http://www.filson.com/products/foul-...taProduct=aa13
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

You could go this route and add pouches as you see fit.
Spyder Gear™ | Wildland Fire Gear | Fire Fighting Equipment | True North Gear

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Not at all a lumbar pack, but if you want shoulder straps, this is pretty good.

Foul Weather Fly Fishing Vest | Filson
This works for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've never seen a fly fishing specific pack like that...why not just go with the Badlands and try to customize it a bit. Everything I've ever heard is that they are great packs. And I believe there are a variety of sizes.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I have the older style of this and like it, although its more of a lumbar pack.

fishpond - WATERDANCE GUIDE PACK

I strap the around my waist and flip it around so the gear is actually on my back side. I then take the shoulder strap and throw it up over my shoulder and across my chest, attaching back to the pack under my arm...Make sense? I was trying to be as confusing as possible.

Anyhow, it works for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
I have the older style of this and like it, although its more of a lumbar pack.

fishpond - WATERDANCE GUIDE PACK

I strap the around my waist and flip it around so the gear is actually on my back side. I then take the shoulder strap and throw it up over my shoulder and across my chest, attaching back to the pack under my arm...Make sense? I was trying to be as confusing as possible.

Anyhow, it works for me.
I have the same pack, and use mine the same way.

Funny thing is, when shirtrippa was talking about requirements for a pack, this one immediately came to mind. Until he mentioned the shoulder straps.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

Ditto on the Fishpond Waterdance.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I have an older Waterdance Guide pack that I am trying to sell. It's about 5 years old and has seen a lot action but is in perfectly functional condition. It served me well, but in the end I don't like the way it carries the weight when fully packed for a long hot day with two water bottles. I also wanted something I could stuff a packable rainshell into.

For the majority of fishing use, it is a very functional pack.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 AM

9piferad is on a distinguished road

Im with rock river on this one, just picked up one of the Filson fowl weather vests, and It is great if you can go past the fact that it is not a lumbar pack. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
-Andrew