The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default One man pontoon to a two man?

I was wondering if you can covert a one man pontoon to a two man?

I was thinking about getting a single man pontoon and where the cooler goes in the back putting a spot where a person can cast. Maybe putting up some railing so they wont fall off and a stripping basket.

Would that make the pontoon float funny. I was thinking maybe building something for the cooler in the front to counter act the weight.

I know there are some crafty members. I was hoping to get some input before i buy one and find out that its a retarded idea. Obviously money is the issue cause i cant afford a two man. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: One man pontoon to a two man?

I don't have a toon and know little about them but it looks to me that most of them have the rowers seat centered on the pontoons having someone standing behind that will throw off its center causing it to either flip end over or ride weird in the water, adding more weight to counteract that means the boat will ride much lower and lessen the stability even more. Its dicey at best, I would look for a used two man 'toon' or consider plans for plywood construction of a small two man driftboat or pram. Changing the design and carrying capacity of any boat wether inflatable or rigid is a gamble.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thony,

I have a 13' pontoon that will accommodate 2 people and has a front deck. Even at 13' it isn't exactly what I would call spacious. Anything smaller would be way too small. I have to shift the frame fore & aft depending on the load I carry. I took out the front seat and casting rail and replaced them with a slab of plywood to enlarge the gear deck for long float camp trips. I carry the gear and Boss on the mother ship and others follow on 1 man toons.

Searching the craig list may turn up a 2 man boat for you at a bargain...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You might take a look at Dave Scadden's NFO pontoons, either his web site or his YouTube videos. He has a couple different models that can interchange from a single person to a two person craft, but then his boats have a pretty large weight capacity. It seems to me that I recall that he had done exactly what you descibed in one of the videos, where he had used one of his folding seats on top of a cooler and strapped the whole thing to the toon.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM

wow. you guys responded really fast. Thank you. I figured if i did that it might not work too well.

The seat isnt really centered. Its more aft. I was thinking about putting either boards or aluminum down where the basket goes for the cooler and that would be where the person would cast And rigging everything else. Its a 9ft. It would be just enough room for some one to stand and cast. The guy im buying it from weighs about 375 (huge dude). that would be about the load amount of me and my buddy.

I was thinking about it cause the guy is kind of hard up and will sell it for 200 plus a minn kota trolling motor.

I dont fish lakes much...... The river i would float would be a smaller river.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have no idea what kickboat you have, a couplenthings to think about. The diameter of the 'toons, or what material the skins and bladder are ( unless it's a bladderless boat), but your boat's weight capacity is going to determine how many can be on the boat. Most kickboats don't have the capacity for two. Some barely have capacity for a motor and battery. Another factor could be the frame- what it is made out of and what the wall thickness is and the welds. There's very few 9' kickboats out there that fits the bill.
fysh likes this.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 PM

i googled it the capacity is 350lbs. That is what it is rated to. Its a tough rubber underneath and a tough nylon on top. The whole thing breaks down and is held together with pins.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:18 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thonyb View Post
i googled it the capacity is 350lbs. That is what it is rated to. Its a tough rubber underneath and a tough nylon on top. The whole thing breaks down and is held together with pins.

Thanks for the input guys.
I'd tell your buddy to find a boat for himself then. A battery will weigh close to 50#, and a motor around 25+. And if you buy this, you'll have to slide your frame towards the front of the toons to offset the weight of the motor and battery.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. There was alot of things that i didnt really consider. If i do end up getting it looks like its going to stay a one man. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM

redleg155 is on a distinguished road

Very informative. Thank you all. I've been considering a "toon" for some time now.

redleg