The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 PM

kap10 is on a distinguished road
Default Witch Fishing Kayak?

Hi there,

Im wondering if anyone here likes to use Fishing Kayaks as their prefered vessel. Im looking at the big boy kayaks, like the Jackson Cuda or the Wilderness Systems Ride 135, both look to be quite stable to stand up and fish. I do like the Freedom Hawks as well but they are so expensive.. What Are the opinions here on the forum,

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Re: Witch Fishing Kayak?

I use a kayak when fishing warm water exclusively, and have for about 6 years now. The one thing I'll tell you is that they'll all float. The more expensive they are, the more options and upgrades you'll encounter. The two vessels you are considering are both nice both and you really couldn't go wrong with either.

One of the best parts about using a kayak is it gives you the opportunity to fish water that many boats can't get too. One option that I would seriously consider would be a rudder. In many cases, you can install them yourself and save a bit of money. If you're a handy person it would be worth looking into.

Other than that, my only advice would be to find a local dealer of both brands and test paddle them. See which one feels the best to you. Things such as seat comfort, stability, storage, weight capacity, modifications, etc., are all things you should look at.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have an ugly duck kayak I guess you could say. A lifetime sport fisher. Not near as many options as the ones like the Jackson's (man they are NICE) but its stable beyond belief. I sat on the edge today,,and TRIED to tip it and couldn't. I like it though for fly fishing,,as you do not have so much kayak "stuff or length''out front' to maneuver a fighting fish around or by. I bungee anything I wanna carry behind my seat..leave the front open and use a towel over my lap to lay striped in line in. Works perfectly. I cut some sections off them round spongy tubes kids play in pools with,,,used two sided tape,,and put them across the kayak in front of me in two different spots..and made a nice soft 'rod rest' for my fly rods for I'm not casting. The wind picked up to about 30 mph today and it hardly rocked the kayak. Rowing against the wind was not all that bad....but with hardly no wind,,it goes along very good,,tracks well. Mind you,,it's not gonna win any races,, but it does fairly dang good.

Another option,,check out YouTube video's of the Nucanoe's ....The videos are impressive,,and the boat shop here is gonna let me try one out this coming weekend. Heck, I might be buying a second boat LOL
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For either one of those, the main downfall I see is their weight. I own a 74lb kayak and a 76lb canoe, and I can tell you that getting both on top of my Forester can be a challenge at times. (keep in mind I weigh 240 and was playing college football at that weight 10 years ago) Throw in some wind, and you've got a decent chance of shoulder injuries or busted windows on your vehicle. I'm not saying their heft can't be managed, just make sure you're ready to deal with it.

For a very stable boat that's much lighter and cheap too, check out the Ocean Kayak Drifter- Drifter Kayak by Ocean Kayak - Product Reviews

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Cliff makes a real good point with the weight factor. I couldn't come close to guessing the number of people I see struggling at launch points with their boats. Lifting 60+ pounds over your head to put it on the SUV rack isn't all that easy, especially after a long days paddle. Practice loading the kayak onto your vehicle before you purchase it to make sure that you will be able to handle it.

If weight does become a larger factor to you, think about looking into kevlar canoes. I use those almost exclusively on BWCA trips, and they rock. I can do 1/2 - 1 mile portages with those without my shoulders being too tired at all. Now, my legs are a different story.

Last edited by ted4887; 07-23-2012 at 09:58 AM.