The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Options for young daughter

My 6 y.o. has been dying to go fly fishing with me. We have tied up a few flies for her own fly box and I have a short 4wt rod all set up. The only thing missing is some wading gear.

Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced hip waders or chest waders that I can get for her? She is quite small (Shoe size = 1), so finding one that would fit her is a challenge (I looked at Cabelas & Bass Pro)

Any suggestions would be appreciated (especially from parents who enjoy this wonderful sport with their young kids)
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for young daughter

That is great man! Is she learning how to cast? My daughter just turned 4 and she also says she wants to go fishing, which means wade around in the water, collect rocks, etc. But she does understand that I fish. We got a little spin outfit for this year on the kiddie pond. But I would love to get her into a fly rod in the next year or two. I was thinking of Tenkara, or some modified fly-rod version so she wouldn't have to deal with line and reel.

Anyway...back to your actual question: do you think she actually needs waders? I mean is the water than cold and will she actually be "wading" above her knees? As you know moving around in waders feels different and if you did find any I'm sure they would be bootfoot, which don't really fit. The nice things about wet-wading are: it feel great in the summer and kids love to get wet, they can wear shoes that actually fit well, and if they do happen to take a swim it's a whole lot safer than with baggy water bags on both legs.

Good luck on your mission and let us know how it goes. It's a great feeling when our daughters want to do what dad does. I know it will come to an end, so I want to take advantage while I can!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Dean,
Yeah, I am pretty excited that she is getting into it. She cast my 8' 2wt rod pretty well (from the bank) the last time we were on the stream. I am going to try your suggestion of getting her to wet wade, should not be an issue with the current warm weather.

She is too young to venture out into the deeper waters but I figured that with the hip waders she would stay near the shore.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old adage that says;

"Hip waders are just a way to measure how deep the water was when you got wet"

There's a good measure of truth in that even for those like myself who wear them regularly, but I think you'll find that with a 6 year old....
it's a fact.