The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Longer handled landing net

I'm older, not as flexable bending over as I used to be, and the short handled net ,,well,,needs to be not so short handled.

What do you guys think of these nets ? I'm looking at the 33R-O really hard. It's 33" overall. Do you think it would be too long to use with my magnetic release ? I'm 6ft even tall. I suppose I could even tuck it in my wading belt. I just have to have something longer. I don't wanna break the bank on a net but I want something sturdy. I've used an Orvis hand net for YEARS, but I can't get down,,,well wait..I can get down easy, I just can't get UP as easy as I used to.

Our Hand Crafted Wooden Landing Nets
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Longer handled landing net

You'll probably be ok, I've used longer and learning to tuck it into my belt while attaching it somehow for insurance has been the best route for me. Longer than that can cause issues while wading due to drag

Wachter and Fisknat also make great nets, smaller companies with the good, trout-friendly rubber baskets and lots of options. If you target pigs, make sure the basket is deep, as a shallow rubber basket is easy for a fish to wriggle free from... Bad for both of you while trying to extract a hook or while multi-fly rigs could be in the net
Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same boat and definitely like a little longer handle on my fishing nets. I think you would really be happy with that 33R-O. When I use a fishing vest I like the magnetic release but lately have been using a sling pack and when I use that I just put the handle in the wading belt.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Like Larry & many others,even though I'm only 5ft 11 '' I'm also in the same boat as you guys.
I once had & used an Expandable Handled Folding Net which I found good however The telescopic tubes seized.
Then I went back to my Folding Net I made & I still use which I carry on a belt in a Scabbard made from Neophrene Pump Hose,overall it's 26" & I've been thinking of fitting a removable extension as I have trouble netting Fish as I use mainly 9ft 6" & 10 Ft Rods.
Brian.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I am in the market for a long handled net as well specifically a boat net and will probably go for the 57R. I contacted Stevensnets awhile back through email and corresponded with his wife, a very nice lady!. The craftsmanship on these nets looks second to none and they have a fair market asking price for a custom wooden net. I have been putting alot of money into getting my raft outfitted and dialed in and just haven't purchased one yet. I am curious to if you purchase one how you like it.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I ordered the 33" handled - 33R-O- from Stephens Nets today. Positively the NICEST lady I ever talked to on the phone took my order. I shall pass along my first impression when I receive it,,,prob first of next week. I think it'll be a good one though.
Michael

Our Hand Crafted Wooden Landing Nets
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM

I received my net from Stephens Nets Friday. But due to a new grandbaby arriving, I didn't fish this weekend, but went to a cowboy fast draw closer to the cabin in case ,,well,,,,Paw Paw's worry too.

But I can tell you,,this is a SUPER quality net, exceeding my expectations greatly.

33" overall, I will keep me from wallowing in the rocks and water when netting fish now.

Two thumbs up for Stephens,, just because I only have two thumbs.

Michael
Old 08-27-2012, 05:37 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear you received good customer service and a quality net from Stevensnets. Hopefully I can pick one up in the near future.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Just to throw another option into the ring: check out Blue Ribbon Nets | Bozeman, Montana | Quality, hand-made Fly Fishing Nets made in Bozeman, MT. They make their own proprietary version of the clear rubber bag, it is light and flexible. I had an issue with mine, emailed the company about it and solved my problem. They sent a new bag free of charge and also offered to switch it out on the spot for me if I could have made it to Bozeman.

Anyway, really nice selection of nets and fine craftsmanship, and price on par with the competition.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Dean, those are nice looking nets to be sure ! The Stephens nets have a rubber bag,,,although black. I like the rubber as somehow,,I ALWAYS end up with a hook in a cloth sack. And the rubber makes handling a fish you intend to release much easier,,or so I think.

Michael