The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM

garyo is on a distinguished road
Default Noob gear questions?

I need a waist pack, gel floatant, forceps, and line clippers. I see that there is a buttload of manufacturers and models for each. Do you folks have a favorite based on experience? Thanks...
Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 PM

cjottawa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noob gear questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyo View Post
I need a waist pack, gel floatant, forceps, and line clippers. I see that there is a buttload of manufacturers and models for each. Do you folks have a favorite based on experience? Thanks...
I'm surprised nobody's responded to this already.

I'm fairly new to the sport but I'll give you my take, based partly on other sports and hobbies I've "geared up" for.

Figure out what you're really going to use and ditch the rest. Don't over pack and don't under pack. Buy a bag that holds all of what you need.

For urban fishing, a fire starter and emergency blanket are useless but a GPSr, cellphone and credit card would be well suited. Always carry a packable rain jacket designed for wading. If you go to more remote areas, make sure you're carrying enough extras to keep you warm and alive until help can show up, if needed. (emerg blanket/bag, fire starter etc). For really remote areas where you could get yourself in serious trouble, a "SPOT" emergency beacon is a great idea. They have an "A-OK" function so you can report your position back to family with the push of a button.

Brands are largely irrelevant if you buy quality; they're a fashion statement. I like the colours offered by Orvis and Simms in soft goods. (bags, waders, jackets). FishPond and William Joseph make excellent gear too but don't discount brands like Patagonia (excellent sling bag) or Vedavoo. Dr. Slick makes all kinds of gadgets (nippers, forceps etc) as does FishPond.

I can tell you what my loadout looks like if it helps you at all:

I was torn about the Confluence pack being too large but realized I get very cranky when I'm hungry or soaking wet, so I got it with the intent of stuffing the back with lunch and rain jacket, as well as some basic survival gear (emerg blanket, knife, fire starter, maybe a GPSr if I'm going far). The front takes the place of a typical chest pack and holds flies, tools, tippet, phone etc.

You might prefer a smaller on-river chest pack and leave your extras on the shore.

Last edited by cjottawa; 09-26-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Personally I have a Simms Headwaters Sling Pack. It sits on my waist and easily moves to my back when I'm fishing. Can be worn higher as well. Before that I used a fanny pack I bought at a sporting good store, and before that, a fishing vest. x2 for the comments/brands that CJ mentioned.

For floatant, I use whatever is easiest to get when I need it: Orvis and Loon Outdoors are usually what I end up with, but not because I've found one to be better than another. This is true for liquid and powder.

Forceps, I have some of my wife's hemostats from medical school They work great. Unless you want to get a fancy pair or need long ones for toothy fish, I'm guessing you'll be fine with whatever you find for sale in a fly shop. If you can, give them a try first to see how they feel. Same with nippers. I haven't bought expensive ones personally. I've found my cheaper ones have lasted well. Just get some with the eye clearing needle built in, ones like this.

Last edited by williamhj; 09-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll tell you that over the years I have went through nippers in great number. I've tried them all, brand names, ceramics, you name it. A few years ago I bought a pair at the new Walgreen's Drug Store in Wasilla AK. They were 3.99 I think; silver finish with a black woven cord neck lanyard attached. They are perhaps the best nippers I've had, still in service after I believe 3 seasons of clipping nothing smaller than 5 pound on a regular basis and most often 10 - 25 pound for salmon and trout leaders.

Don't shy away from the affordable nippers; many of the expensive brand names are produced off shore so paying 20 dollars for nippers may not do you any better than my Walgreen's Specials

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

for nippers, i like these
MINI NIPPER - SWTL03-2 - FISHING/WATERSPORTS
Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

39 cent fingernail clippers for me.... and I bet that no one here is surprised by that
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I use a patagonia waust pack. It works great for day hikes and fishing small streams, creeks and the like...I try not to wear it if I know I might be wading in deeper waters so my gear doesnt get soggy wet. I believe its water repellant not waterproof. Shop Simms, Orvis, LL. Bean and many other top manufacturers to find a pack that is built with polyurthane coated nylon fabric so if you do take a dip your gear inside stays relatively dry.

Or if you want a flock of birds with one stone check out Loons waist pack with all the gear you mentioned.

Big Water Fishing System - Gear - Loon Outdoors ~ Environmentally Friendly Fly Fishing Gear & Accessories
Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Check out sierra trading post, there's a whole lot of good deals on everything you need and if you catch them during a sale you take another chunk of percent off on top of it.
caseywise likes this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Check out sierra trading post, there's a whole lot of good deals on everything you need and if you catch them during a sale you take another chunk of percent off on top of it.
check stp for loon aquel fly floatant and dr. slick forceps. i believe both can be found at a heavy discount (both are my fav.)

casey

ARFE
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Caseywise stole part of my answer , but here's my take on each:

waist pack- Fishpond Nimbus Guide Pack (well worth the money)
floatant- Loon Aquel. It's temperature stable and is fantastic on any dry I've used it on.
forcep- Dr. Slick forceps
nippers- I have a pair from wal-greens, possible the same Ard mentioned. Cheaper nail clippers also work well.

For the floatant it is best to also buy a dry powder floatant to use in conjunction with your gel. The dry powder is used to almost instantly romve the moisture from water logged dry flies so that you can then put the gel on. If you don't buy a powder and a gel, at least put the fly between two dry pieces of clothing and squeeze the water out before reapplying floatant. If you don't, putting more floatant on a wet dry fly really doesn't do much good.