home made belly boat question

kilted flyer

Reaction score
Thinking about making a belly boat. Need some advice and kinds of styrofoam to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum,

I don't know anything about building a float tube out of styrofoam........ There are many affordable tubes on the market today; why are you looking to make one? I don't own a tube and only fished from one for the first time this spring at a Casting For Recovery event. What little I learned is that you will want a decent one if you are going to be in deep water or be staying in it for a few hours at a time. Take a look at the Sierra Trading Post to see what they have on sale.

Ard

I just took a quick look, they run $109 - 169 http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-boats-and-boat-accessories~d~56/

kilted flyer

Reaction score
I have a float tube, a kayak, and a small homemade boat. The tube and my yak get my hind end wet. Just wanting to add more possibilities for fishing, and trying to stay dry. Found an old article on the water wagon. Thought I might give it a go.

kilted flyer

Reaction score
I have thought about a pontoon. Not real sure of brand or model. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so not wanting to run out and get the first one I see, or drop some cash only to be let down. And for the record, normally don't fish in my kilt. Can be a bit breezy on the water. Lol

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've once made one from an old pool lounge chair similar to this

Then of course you've got your redneck bassboat :D

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...:)

Your first thought should be, is it safe, fishing out of a home made belly boat. Are you balanced correctly, can you get out if it upends and does it become a wind sail if the wind changes directions and starts pushing you across a big lake. I am confident you can build one, just want to make sure the safety aspects have been considered also.

Dave

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've once made one from an old pool lounge chair similar to this

Then of course you've got your redneck bassboat :D

So great, I love this one!

Is that a battery under his chair? Is this thing powered! :eek:

Would it be fair to call this an Alabama Bass Boat?