The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

The boy did the top of Denali last year. My part was funding (money) for a Marmot 8000 parka and a Mountain Hardwear EV-3 tent. Both he and his partner did a great job at surviving the climb and reported that the tent was A #1. FYI...there are no fish up there...unless you find some in a can, lol. The tent at the high camp...
Click the image to open in full size.
You will also need one of these for your CMC (clean mountain can) comfort activity should you take the hike.
The "prize"...
Regretfully four Japanese climbers died while they were on the mountain and the Vet's didn't summit. A sad part of the story.
mcnerney and Rip Tide like this.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Poe Paddy, Ard...but we did fish all the way down to Cherry this time!
The swift water below Cherry all the way to that huge pool was always my haunt down in that neck of the Penn's Woods. I think I have told you that huh...............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The swift water below Cherry all the way to that huge pool was always my haunt down in that neck of the Penn's Woods. I think I have told you that huh...............
Yes, and it's in the plans for the next time we head over there.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littledavid
Have had my eye on the MSR Whisperlite for a long time, any problems with it?
I have an MSR like the one Ard has from 1979. There was only one model then. That one doesn't look as high tech as pics of the new ones, but the fuel line leading from the tank is solid stainless brake tubing and rigid. So the burner is connected rigidly to the sig bottle and is thus very stable, despite its small footprint. If one of their models has that rigid connection, I'd get that one. It extends the effective footprint of the burner by many times.

Stability was very important to me because I would backpack up above where the outfitters would take their horses and sports elk hunting, (ie. up where they had chased all the elk to) and the snow was generally mid-thigh depth or worse up there by then, with packed underneath.

So the extra stability was important as I had to melt snow for all my water as well as cook with it, and it would start tilting slowly before falling over. The hard pack snow under my makeshift support base would eventually melt.

That stove also came with really ,really thick tin foil that would handily support frying pans but folded up nicely for packing. You could not put a frying pan directly on top of the burner on that one; the heat was not diffused enough.

Inside the stainless tube is a stainless cable with the ends braized together running full length. It acts as a filter to grab stuff in the fuel, and is used as a reamer to clean out the tube if necessary. You just pull it out and ran it back and forth inside the rigid tubing. I don't know about the new ones

The last time I used mine was two years ago. I got a new pump for it in the early 90's I think because it sat too long dry without use. I only run mine full blast. The flame adjustment is not worth messing with on it.

I'd call tech support and talk to them. I'm sure they are still great stoves. The one I still have is very, very simple and always works.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Ground cloths are only to protect the floor of the tent and can actually cause more leaks than they'll solve
Any rainwater that gets between the ground cloth and the tent floor will not run off as it would without one
Just the slightest edge of a ground cloth that sticks out from under the side of the tent can collect enough water to soak the whole floor.
Rip: Thanks for the tip!

Larry

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
The boy did the top of Denali last year. My part was funding (money) for a Marmot 8000 parka and a Mountain Hardwear EV-3 tent. Both he and his partner did a great job at surviving the climb and reported that the tent was A #1. FYI...there are no fish up there...unless you find some in a can, lol. The tent at the high camp...
You will also need one of these for your CMC (clean mountain can) comfort activity should you take the hike.
The "prize"...
Regretfully four Japanese climbers died while they were on the mountain and the Vet's didn't summit. A sad part of the story.
Now that is putting a tent to the test! Sorry to hear about the Japanese climbers who didn't survive. That mountain can be a cruel mistress.