The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

I swear up and down by coleman tents. We have two now, one is 4 person dome that I use when camping by myself or with 1 other person. the other is a Bayside, also a 4 person, but it will sleep 4 people, plus gear with walking space. Best thing about it is the 6' ceiling all the way to the edges. Granted my hair rubs but its nice being able to stand. Both of mine are in the "guide series" line, so they have the heavy tarp floors, double welded seams, watertight zippers etc. I have had the dome in some sever thunderstorms with 50 mph winds and buckets of rain, not a single drop has come in. Other tents in the group not so lucky.
Hardyreels likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
I havent slept in a tent since i bought my first rv, 9 years ago. Now, 4 rvs later it is very easy to get used to having a nice comfy bed and your own clean bathroom.
I've thought about that but I like to think that the tents keep me young Honestly though, many of the places I have spent nights or even weeks, a tent is the only way to have some shelter.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Greg,

Severe weather is what lead up to the purchase of the North Face for me. I love a tall tent but sometimes the short height is what keeps it together. You ought to post a couple pictures (please ) to show the construction if you have some. I like seeing other tents than what I own.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Yeah, i completely understand that. I just havent had the opportunity to disappear into the back country somewhere just to fish, yet. Hopefully someday i will.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

and just think of how many tents you can buy just with the gas money you spend filling a motor home.. let alone the cost of owning one. Ill stick to the tent, its called camping not moving your house to the woods for the weekend

Mike
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now now; I think we can agree that waking up on a rainy morning in an RV would have its advantages. Camping comes down to choices; choices about destinations are the predominate ones that dictate tents, however I would often appreciate the comfort of walls and a furnace Up here the heat thing is a player. I have a hard time motivating when everything including the tent is covered with a thick frost or worse. Often I think of getting just a small tow behind camper so that I could base camp from one area without dealing with the foul weather wakeup........
Vans and wannafish like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello Flyfishing Friends,

I have two tents, a Hilleberg Allak, if weight is important (just 2,9kg) and one Eureka when I am going to the campcround together with my wife. The Hilleberg tent is for one person OK, with two persons you should love each other pretty much The Eureka tent has two (or one bigger) sleeping areas and enough room to place a table and two chairs.
Hardyreels likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

A fellow at the doc's complained; "one day I feel like a teepee, next day I feel like a wigwam, what's the matter with me doc?"
Doc says, "easy, you're obviously too tense."
Hardyreels, Rip Tide and stanbiker like this.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This is my Eureka! that's reserved for trips.
At our camp I use an old canvas Hillary (sears)

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and grouch like this.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I meant nothing by my rv comment haha, I have enjoyed the comforts of rving before, and liked it. I dont forsee me ever being able to own one, unless you the Van Down By the RIver an RV.
Hardyreels and stanbiker like this.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

The feel of the furnace blowing warm air out the vent right at the end of the bed as it wafts up under the blankets......

They have their place. It sure makes relaxing after a day on the water nice. Amazing what a little hot water, a furnace and a queen size bed will do for you.

That being said i would still jump at the chance to take one on a back country trip. In the lower 48 there just are not too many places left where it is required, more the shame.

I still have my old 3 man from my single days tucked away in the attic.
Hardyreels likes this.