The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to contribute to this thread soon enough. All my overnight fishing trips so far in my brief tenure in fly fishing have involved hotels, streamside naps under no cover besides the stars, or cabins. The only fabric shelters have been the wearable kind! I like Thorsten's set-up the best, but the Southerner in me really craves some of that Dutch Oven Corn Bread...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

dutch oven corn bread.. ok Im hungry now.. thanks AJ.. im taking my hamock to the woods wednesday. or the ghillie suit to stake out a eagle spotting spot I have hidden.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I have been watching on theclymb for a good two or three person one. Just havent snagged one yet. The one I have, forget the brand, but its a big four person one for when my friends and I used to go camping, want a smaller one that is simple to put up for when I go solo fishing and rather just stay around there instead of paying for a room.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Best backpacking site I ever had...Dewey Point, Yosemite National Park in my Terra Nova Solar Photon 1

Click the image to open in full size.

If you look in the distance you can see the tip of Half Dome.

Last edited by ghocevar; 12-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In another thread I mentioned that I first saw Ted Williams fly cast at the Boston Sportman's Show when my parents were there looking to buy a camp trailer.
This is what they got. A 1963 Apache Chief,... including the bunk beds.
It replaced the old, hot, floor-less canvas cabin tent we used previously. Just like in the ad.

Hardyreels, countr21 and baseman1 like this.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Woozer! Talk about a walk down memory lane. That old canvas tent sent me back close to 50 years. Wife Type, the two kids and I used one of those for years. The tipping point was a trip down on the Toutle River ... and rain and more rain, and more ......

Four people 'trapped' in one of those things was no picnic. Finally tossed the kidlets in the car and just rolled up the tent and stuffed in the car trunk. Week later we purchased a used 17' fifth wheel. Even that small provided a lot of living space. The cab over even had a full on king sized bed.

That was the kids 'play room' if the weather went toes up during the winter, or spring, or ..... Finally 'up-graded' in 1986 to a 24 footer. A 'private bedroom' was a 'good thing.'
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Tents are overrated.. Hammocks sleep 1000x better...

thorsten likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Comfort sometimes must be sacrificed (not entirely) for utility which many times will equal 'comfort' as well. The setup you picture above will be fine at a state park on a car camping trip with no wind. I've pitched my tents from Gros Morne National Provincial Park (north west Newfoundland) to western Kodiak Island and way too many points between to be remembered in a post. Through it all I've seen conditions ranging from 80 mph Aleutian gales driving inches of rain onto the land, to waking to find an additional 13" of snow had fallen overnight in the Wolf Run Wild Area of Pennsylvania. The winds of Wyoming and Montana will also challenge a tarp setup as well.

Pitching a tent is a chore, especially one like the North Face Expedition 25 that I reserve for the worst of the worst but the ones I own have stood the test of some really bad conditions. For comfort you add a Big Agnes mummy air pad (super small & light when packed) and a good down bag. It isn't for everyone but it's always worked for me

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Ard you sound like a gear junkie...I know because I'm the same way...I have a tent and bag for every day of the week and for every condition for that matter!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

My deluxe room for winter wilderness survival with Search and Rescue. I woke up under 2 feet of new snow and coyote tracks all over.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover