The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

Here's one of our tents, parked 30' from the Lake Fork...Click the image to open in full size.

The other, which we use backpacking, is a Sierra Designs Sphinx. I've had it for 24 years. It's still waterproof and comfortable.

Gotta say, though, the RV comforts are hard to give up ...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
The other, which we use backpacking, is a Sierra Designs Sphinx. I've had it for 24 years. It's still waterproof and comfortable.
I gotta Sierra Designs Stardome of about the same age. I thought it was kinda pricey at the time especially for a factory second, but with a few rips and a busted pole later, it's still serviceable.
It's been delegated to "spare" status but my son still uses it at least once a year.
lacanadio likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

been all over the country with this one. always had a van rigged up for camping. this one astro has a 5" lift and has been up and down the east coast on the beaches as well as a 30 day trip out west fishing..bed, stove, heater, frig, even a shower..still have my 2 man eureka timberline from the late 70's early 80's. will have to break it out this year as the astro is down for awhile.(refit)

Click the image to open in full size.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough

Here is home when I lived in western New York state and was doing 1700"s Rendezvous. A 9 x 9 trail tarp set up as a plow point. Set right into the wind and it was right comfy, at one gathering a storm came up and took down a number of tents, this one held up just fine.

For a number of years we had a Columbia that served us well, it finally just wore out last fall. (tent in background). I used it year round. It was rated as a 5 man tent. Winters with gear and cots it fit 2! I did stuff 4 guys in it fishing up in northern Ontario, lets just say it was cozy!

We replaced the Columbia with a Kodiak canvas 10 x 10. Sets up real nice, fast n easy and weathers very well. It is one sturdy tent.

This is my favorite. mainly because I like getting off the beaten path. Marmot Limelight, weighs in at just over 6 pounds. 2 vestibules, room for 2 people & our Labrador, gear fits in the vestibules. sets up easy and weathers with wind nicely.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'll stick with my Northface VE24 for the nasty stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
been all over the country with this one. always had a van rigged up for camping. this one astro has a 5" lift and has been up and down the east coast on the beaches as well as a 30 day trip out west fishing..bed, stove, heater, frig, even a shower..still have my 2 man eureka timberline from the late 70's early 80's. will have to break it out this year as the astro is down for awhile.(refit)

Bob: That Astro van brings back some great memories of my '74 Chevy van that I had all setup for camping, sold it in '81 when I was reassigned to Alaska, been kicking myself ever since for letting that rig go.

Larry

Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I'm an avid backcountry angler and spend about thirty nights a year in the high country of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana chasing trout in high altitude lakes and streams. The Rocky Mountains produce their own weather, much of it very fierce. So I have to have a top grade tent that won't get trashed in the gale force winds, rain, and sometimes even snow of the high country. My current tent is my favorite piece of backpacking gear. It's the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2 man tent. It's plenty of room for myself and my gear and it weighs only 3 pounds. It utilizes only one pole, so I can do a complete set up or tear down in about 3-4 minutes.

Folks always want to talk about the danger of bears on the backcountry. I scoff at this idea. Hypothermia is one of the true killers in the backcountry, certainly not bears. A good tent and sleeping bag can mean the difference between life or death in the Rocky Mountain high country and my tent has proved itself many times. I've done well over thirty backcountry trips in my Big Agnes and have never spent one night wet or cold.

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. Here in rock & ice country at Elbow Lake in the Wind River Range.

A snow storm in the Popo Agie Wilderness of the Wind River Range. Photo taken August 30, 2009

My favorite lake up in the Flat Tops Wilderness over 11,300' - loaded with 12-14" Colorado Cutts

View from the bedroom. Waking up to snow on the outside of the tent. Golden Lakes over 10,600' in the Wind River Range, Sept 2010.

Sauerkraut Lakes in the Winds. You can barely make out the Upper lake in the background

My campsite just out of sight of Maes Lake in the Winds. Maes is filled with nice backcountry brown trout

Here camped in the timber right next to my favorite high lake in the Rawah Wilderness.

My first trip ever with my Big Agnes tent to Little Beaver Creek in the Commanche Peak Wilderness. I had never set it up before and a lightning storm threatned as I arrived to camp. I had only about 5 minutes to set up a strange tent. I got it set up in time to weather a small hail storm but as you can see, I did not get it tied down perfectly. But the tent is so strong not even this hail got any of the interior wet at all.

My car camping tent is an old REI Camp Dome 4 man tent. It's nothing fancy but has done the job since 1994 when I first moved West. I would estimate I've spent well over 200 nights in my Camp Dome. Pictured at Bear Lake campground just outside of the Flat Tops Wilderness.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

just browsed through this whole thread again, man, I can't wait for the lake to thaw out so I can do some camping and fishing.

Dave
Hardyreels and baseman1 like this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

the view from camp week or so back in southern Alabama
Hardyreels and thorsten like this.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Ard you sound like a gear junkie...I know because I'm the same way...I have a tent and bag for every day of the week and for every condition for that matter!
I try to do 2 things, keep it covered & keep it to a minimum........... Bags I have a -30, a +20 and a +45, tents are my old Jansport Yellowstone 2 man dome, a Kelty Trail Dome 4, and the North Face Expedition 25. I used a Mountain Hardware Bivy for bicycle trips but sold it here in AK. because it was just too small for a big guy who's getting older

I use an MSR Whisperlight for cold or a Snow Peak butane stove for warm weather. The Snow Peak is too cool with the igniter feature

I'm going to get a stove and folding table for use with the boat this year.
baseman1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;