The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

Have had my eye on the MSR Whisperlite for a long time, any problems with it?

Dave
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I always used the coleman 10x10. Then I bought the coleman 10x12 with the hinged door. Wow, I love that hinged, rigid door.
Click the image to open in full size.

I added a triple burner stove with a griddle and grill box after years using a two burner.

Then easy up canopies and this has been my camp for years.

All loaded up.

Big changes in my camping coming up.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Camping season is upon us, time to get the tent thread going again.
I did a little kayak camping this past weekend. Took the Slumberjack since there was a chance of rain.

Hardyreels and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice spot David!

Ard
riverbilly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Cool thread. I don't even know where my backpacking tent or my all "micro-net" tent are these days. The former was a great tent, being the lighest and smallest made at the time I bought it, made of the "then new" gore tex. It was so small that to enter you had to squirm into it feet first, but great for Colorado hunting trips in the late season or any backpacking for that matter.

But to the subject, I bought two sets of rain gear from an outfit called CampSaver.com and was really pleased with them and their policies, prices and friendly efficiency on the phone. Every item I bought was the best price I'd found after a lot of searching, and shipping is free over 50 bucks.

It is not owned by a multinational corporation like so many others either.
But of the 4 items I bought, they had every one in stock in the color and sizes I wanted and shipped them the same day. They have an actual store as well in Utah.

The number of and variety of tents they stock amazes me. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone looking for specialty tents. I'd never heard of them before and found them on the third page of a search.

Cheers,
Jim
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Have had my eye on the MSR Whisperlite for a long time, any problems with it?

Dave
I've never heard of anything regarding them and I see some in use out here. I believe you'll be safe with the MSR or any of the other tents offered by the well known makers. The only time that you really need a specialty or expedition level tent is if you are facing the worst of the worst of weather conditions. High winds are (in my opinion) the toughest conditions to cope with. Torrential rains or heavy snow loads are right up there as well. If you are looking at short stay camps and not pushing the envelope seasonally the Whisperlight should make you a fine tent.

One thing I'll offer for choosing tents is to go for the best center height and door height that you can get. As I get older I appreciate a few extra inches in height especially at the door. Crawling into or out of a tent is hard enough without getting hung up on the door. Center height is important when you get caught by several days of rain, it's nice to have extra head room then.
milt spawn, rockriver and yonder like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Not really fishing, but me with one of my tents.....
Chamonix valley, Le Tour Glacier, Ag. du Chardonnet
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Hardyreels;571689]I've never heard of anything regarding them and I see some in use out here. I believe you'll be safe with the MSR or any of the other tents offered by the well known makers.QUOTE]

Actually the Whispelite is a stove. I have been using one for over 23 yrs & had a plugged jet once.
Great & dependable stove.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Here's our site at Cuivre River State Park... Very simple one pole design and has served me well... Great tent on fair weather nights too with it's mesh walls and separate rain fly..

baseman1 likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For cooking one other great thing is the "Kelly Kettle." The first were actually used in the trenches in WWI. Small container on the bottom in which you build a fire with whatever's at hand. Kettle itself is a hollow tube with an exterior water jacket.

Give it 5 minutes and you have boiling water for Tea, 'Cup of Noodles,' whatever is 'just add water.' Personally I carry BBQ wood chips and fire starters to light the thing off. You can also get a grill plate to put a pan on same to fry food.

Very 'Retro,' but very effective.

fae
baseman1 likes this.