The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

If its rainy or chance of being rainy (or cool weather) my tent is the rear end of my '97 4-Runner.

All other weather I sleep under the stars next to a fire!!

Give me a few years Ill get old and my camping will change.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I had a great Eureka years ago, it somehow got lost in a move in a large bag of camping gear.

Now rock a REI Camp Dome and it's for car camping. It's really easy to setup, and my brother got me an air mattress so I sleep very comfortably after a long day on the water (which is good, I have a bit of a bad back... Nothing serious, but an uncomfortable night's sleep can take a while in the a.m. to get fully worked out).

Last time I slept in it I was waking up at 6 to fish in a One Fly tourney in February... It was 22 degrees outside and felt amazing. I was all alone, and as you can see I had a very comfy setup

Click the image to open in full size.

I need an excuse for a super light one-man for sure, and I'll be hitting up all of the REI used gear sales until I find one
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

We have a big Kelty Trail Dome (not as nice as your Erueka) but it's a 4 man with a 6'6" center. I must say the tall tent with a big fat air bed is really nice. I had a Mountain Hardware 1 man for bicycling & motorcycling and can tell you getting in and out got harder with every year.................

I like the looks of the way you were set up in the above photo.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

[quote=vanceinak;572896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've never heard of anything regarding them and I see some in use out here. I believe you'll be safe with the MSR or any of the other tents offered by the well known makers.QUOTE]

Actually the Whispelite is a stove. I have been using one for over 23 yrs & had a plugged jet once.
Great & dependable stove.
Boy, I put my foot in my mouth there Vance!

I know about the Whisperlight stoves, I too have had jets clog but it's the fuel not the jet when that happens. Please don't take this as one upping your 23 years of use but I got mine in 1980............

Based on that you would think I would have realized that MSR probably doesn't make a tent by the same name......duh.

Whenever I drive through a campground like down at Bing's Landing, or there at Moose river I notice MSR tents in use but cannot say what models they are. So............I should have given what I said some thought before I blurted out the reply.

Now about stoves, for spring - summer - fall use I picked up a Sno Peak back in 2005. Unbelievable convenience with an ignition button that fires it up. The stove itself packs so small that it's amazing, they run on the little butane tanks which are also very small.

I went to this because of the soot and priming business with the MSR stove. However, in cold weather the Sno Peak is not efficient due to the gas contracting. The old Whisperlight is still needed in winter.

Thanks for setting me strait,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a new Marmot Limelight 3 tent this spring off EBay and used it over on the Bighorn in early June where it rained for three days straight, the tent held up great. I forgot to put the ground cloth down and it still stayed dry inside, I was pretty amazed at that. Sorry for the poor photo, I just pulled it off the REI website.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I forgot to put the ground cloth down and it still stayed dry inside, I was pretty amazed at that.
Ground cloths are only to protect the floor of the tent and can actually cause more leaks than they'll solve
Any rainwater that gets between the ground cloth and the tent floor will not run off as it would without one
Just the slightest edge of a ground cloth that sticks out from under the side of the tent can collect enough water to soak the whole floor.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:22 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

I like the looks of the way you were set up in the above photo.

Ard
Thanks, I have to say that I'm more impressed with REI brand gear with every year... the grey backpack you see inside is also REI, and very intelligently designed, durable as all get-out too. I got my wife and I both trekking poles of theirs too, and they've had none of the problems I've read about with other brands.

Their brand is much cheaper than other big names of comprable quality, and being a member of the co-op you get 10% back every year. Their customer satisfaction policy can't be beaten, either (though they just amended it, I think some folks were abusing it).

The quarterly used gear sales are amazing (you have to be a member, FYI), a lot of stuff that's barely been worn/opened for pennies on the dollar... a big plus for a young married guy who's trying to save up for kiddos and such
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Tent Thread;

+1 for the REI vote. Their gear has been on top of Mt. Everest on several occasions.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

You say you like REI?!...Got this for family camping although its maiden voyage was to Penn's Creek with a couple buddies.
Kingdom 8...it's darn near as big as a pop-up camper.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice, and a nice spot too; down near Weikert maybe?

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Ground cloths are only to protect the floor of the tent and can actually cause more leaks than they'll solve
Any rainwater that gets between the ground cloth and the tent floor will not run off as it would without one
Just the slightest edge of a ground cloth that sticks out from under the side of the tent can collect enough water to soak the whole floor.
I'm tellen ya,

What he don't know, you don't need to know

Actually I call them 'footprint' and yes they protect the bottom. I use the one that came with my Expedition 25 because the tent was way too expensive to not use every single piece

As for Rip Tide's seemingly bottomless pit of knowledge, it's time I once again thank him for his informative posting You are something

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Poe Paddy, Ard...but we did fish all the way down to Cherry this time!