The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Tent Thread;

Many times we camp in order to spend a few days at a river or creek. This thread (I hope) is meant to be a place for you to post pictures of your camps and the tents you use. I'll start off with a very old JanSport Yellowstone that has been serving me since 1980 / 1981. I am convinced that like many other things, they don't make them like they used to.

2 man 4 pole Dome, about a 4 minute pitch;

Click the image to open in full size.

I have re-coated the rain fly twice over the years and it stays dry inside. For quick one night camps this is still my number one after 31 years of use. I don't believe there has been a year in all that time that I didn't use this tent. I have others and will post them once I see if tents are a subject of interest here.
countr21 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

I love threads like this! I will have some to share soon!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Cool,

Here is the tent I use for serious weather shown at a distance; a North Face Expedition 25, 3 person. It is harder to pitch but will remain standing in wind gusts up to 80 mph.......

This is a better look, taken 2 seasons ago when I spent a week camped on the same river in early June.

When you use it out on open ground where wind will be an issue, all those little guy loops have their own cords and stakes for securing the tent. It is a solid shelter, I have had this one only 10 years. Something I have noticed about this North Face product is that the stakes are very good. They are cut from aluminum angle stock and are tough!
von behr and countr21 like this.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Hmm, what do I have pics of?

Eureka Tetragon 8 (great tent at a fantastic price)

My old Kelty Crestone on the left, my brother's Cabelas XPG on the right, big Sportsmans warehouse tarp in the center just being used as a windbreak in front of our beer chairs.

I got rid of the Kelty Crestone. Nice tent but smaller than I wanted for an in betweener.

Now I have;

MountainSmith Altura - A small 1 person,easy to set up, very small and light.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 - Says it's a two person tent, but those two people better like sleeping VERY close. It's a very light, tent and great for one person + some gear or a dog.

Eureka Tetragon 8 - Great tent for two people leaving space in the middle to wove and store stuff, would work ok for 3 people. I've had it stand up to winds that were laying down other people's tents.
Hardyreels, countr21 and newby like this.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:11 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

as the owner and well user of both the Eureka Apex 2xt and Alpine XT I swear by Eureka to keep me dry. and it has in some rediculus weather. I dont have many pics, but ill see what I can dig up.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Administrator

I understand what you mean by a tent being too small, the one seen here was a Mountain Hardware Bivy 1 person. It was super light and worked great even packed on my bicycle but getting in and out was a regular chore. I used it for 4 years and then found someone who actually was looking for one...... So

popperfly and thorsten like this.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

a photo i took of my apex for my works website.. yes I sell Eureka tents. no bias or nothing
baseman1 likes this.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I used to just go with a army surplus hammock and a tarp for a rain fly but now I have one of those half a house things from Coleman. Its not bad you can sort of stand up and there's enough room for an air mattress and then small table off to the side. I'm not a fan of it and don't use it unless my girlfriend comes along. If I'm flying solo and it'll be somewhat of an extended stay I have an old A-frame (in dire need of an airout and water-proofing treatment).
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 PM

I will sometimes in cooler parts of the year go the hammock and tarp route, a few biners to clip the hamock around my legs and im good to go, but usually i go for extra comfort and pack the apex. and for that rare trip when its cold my alpine xt win, the thicker rain fly sets almost 8 inches from the inner tent.. it gets toasty.
Mike
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I havent slept in a tent since i bought my first rv, 9 years ago. Now, 4 rvs later it is very easy to get used to having a nice comfy bed and your own clean bathroom.