The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Mangrove stripping basket (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/295991-mangrove-stripping-basket.html)

fly_or_die 09-06-2012 05:39 PM

Mangrove stripping basket

Im looking for a Mangrove hip shooter stripping basket. Cabelas used to sell them and now they are no longer available. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase one or if someone has one they would like to sell. Any help would be great, thanks.

Hardyreels 09-06-2012 10:32 PM

Re: Mangrove stripping basket

I don't like to see a post go unanswered. I don't have an answer for you but have you Goggled for these?

fly_or_die 09-06-2012 10:53 PM

I have done some searches for them without success, it seems they may have been discontinued.

Hardyreels 09-06-2012 11:07 PM

There must be something similar. Have you considered shopping for a suitable container and making one?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Are they anything like this; Packable Stripping Basket: Luggage and Gear Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean basket

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I just looked at the Cabalas page 'sold out' and I see they are not the same. The Bean looks serviceable, I may want one of those myself.

williamhj 09-07-2012 12:06 AM

I found one, but you gotta pay euros :) and here's one used if you don't mind that.

Rip Tide 09-07-2012 07:39 AM

Orvis once sold a similar basket, but they don't have them anymore either
Hmmmm......

In other news, their "durable" basket is on sale marked down from $79 to $65

what BANDITS !!!! ....it's a dish pan for ******sake !

randyflycaster 09-07-2012 08:42 AM

Unless you're spey fishing, I think the Orvis basket is the best one out there. It's worth the money.

I don't see how anyone can build a better one.

BTW, the problem with the Bean basket is that's it's too wide and you'll hit your hand when you haul downward.

For spey casting I couldn't find the Mangrove basket, but I was able to find the replacement cones and pins at Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co.. I then built my own basket that I keep on my hips - not my front.

Randy

Hardyreels 09-07-2012 11:33 AM

Jeez these things are expensive! The used one is bid up to $79.00 at this time...........

I didn't even check the price of the Bean basket when I pasted the link but the price (I went to look) seems reasonable. I can see the width problem Randy speaks of with it though.

I guess if you really want one I would enter a bid that is at the upper limit of what I could live with and let it ride. If someone wants to pay 125 for a stripping basket then I would let them have it.

Good luck,

Ard

fly_or_die 09-14-2012 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go ahead and make one my self, its crazy the prices they get for some of these!

swirlchaser 09-15-2012 09:10 AM

Randy is right, the LL Bean basket hurts, especially in the fall and winter months. It's too wide and the edges are not molded over like the Orvis one. I have the Orvis, but only because I happened to find one used at a garage sale for $20. Before that I used a home made one for 5 years.