The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road
Default Mangrove stripping basket

Im looking for a Mangrove hip shooter stripping basket. Cabelas used to sell them and now they are no longer available. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase one or if someone has one they would like to sell. Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Mangrove stripping basket

I don't like to see a post go unanswered. I don't have an answer for you but have you Goggled for these?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 PM

I have done some searches for them without success, it seems they may have been discontinued.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

There must be something similar. Have you considered shopping for a suitable container and making one?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Are they anything like this; Packable Stripping Basket: Luggage and Gear Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean basket

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I just looked at the Cabalas page 'sold out' and I see they are not the same. The Bean looks serviceable, I may want one of those myself.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I found one, but you gotta pay euros and here's one used if you don't mind that.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis once sold a similar basket, but they don't have them anymore either
Hmmmm......

In other news, their "durable" basket is on sale marked down from $79 to $65

what BANDITS !!!! ....it's a dish pan for ******sake !
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Unless you're spey fishing, I think the Orvis basket is the best one out there. It's worth the money.

I don't see how anyone can build a better one.

BTW, the problem with the Bean basket is that's it's too wide and you'll hit your hand when you haul downward.

For spey casting I couldn't find the Mangrove basket, but I was able to find the replacement cones and pins at Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co.. I then built my own basket that I keep on my hips - not my front.

Randy
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Jeez these things are expensive! The used one is bid up to $79.00 at this time...........

I didn't even check the price of the Bean basket when I pasted the link but the price (I went to look) seems reasonable. I can see the width problem Randy speaks of with it though.

I guess if you really want one I would enter a bid that is at the upper limit of what I could live with and let it ride. If someone wants to pay 125 for a stripping basket then I would let them have it.

Good luck,

Ard

Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go ahead and make one my self, its crazy the prices they get for some of these!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Randy is right, the LL Bean basket hurts, especially in the fall and winter months. It's too wide and the edges are not molded over like the Orvis one. I have the Orvis, but only because I happened to find one used at a garage sale for $20. Before that I used a home made one for 5 years.