The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Tall and skinny waders

I'm 6-2, 180 lbs with a size 10.5-11 shoe. Inseam is around 33, waist is about 33. I've done some research, and I don't think they make waders for me. I want a pair of waist highs. Any suggestions? Would prefer to keep it around or under $200 if possible.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tall and skinny waders

Take a look at the Orvis sizing chart, it looks to me you would fit into the "Medium Long", staying under $200 would be an issue with Orvis waders. The only way to know for sure would be to do a fitting at a local fly shop.
Stockingfoot Waders / Silver Label Roll-down Stockingfoot Waders -- Orvis

Larry

Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

You will just want to find a wader manufacturer that offers sizing options beyond the standard S, Med, L, XL ... none of which fit anyone when it comes to waders! Lots of companies offer Med - Short, or Long as Larry mentioned, and it makes a huge difference to not have a bulky pile of material sagging below your crotch or swimming in the chest section of an XL just so you don't look like you're wearing hipster skinny jeans in the leg section.

But unfortunately, also like Larry pointed out, the $200 dollar price point is limiting in waders these days. Take a look at Redington, they do a medium-long. But you really have to try them on to know.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out the ll bean emerger 2 waist hi waders. my dad has a similar frame to yours and he loves em.
Men's Breathable Emerger II Waders, Stocking-Foot High-Waist: Breathable | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
he bought the large.

casey

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 09-12-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tall and skinny waders

Dan Bailey Wader Sizing Charts
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

im even worse off then you at 6' 140 pounds with a size 11 foot. I fit well in most companies medium sized waders, with alittle extra room i can tuck my SLR camera down in the front of them and help keep it dry.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the LL Bean waders in sz M. I think they will be long enough. One thing I'm worried about is if these will hold up to all the hiking I do through the brush to get back to the small streams I fish.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the LL Bean waders in sz M. I think they will be long enough. One thing I'm worried about is if these will hold up to all the hiking I do through the brush to get back to the small streams I fish.
LL Bean has an excellent rep for standing behind their products, if they fit I wouldn't worry about them holding up to your hiking demands, if they fail send them in for repair/replacement.

Larry