The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Sun Glasses for fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/296625-sun-glasses-fishing.html)

darwin 09-13-2012 03:33 PM

Sun Glasses for fishing

Hi all
I am looking for a pair of polarized sunglasses that has the built in magnifier / readers (2.5x) and was looking at the Smith Optical line. Has anyone first hand experience with these or can you recommend another line to consider? Conditions will be Very sunny and gin clear waters.

Many thanks! :shades:

jcw355 09-13-2012 05:20 PM

Re: Sun Glasses for fishing

Orvis has them and Costa does as well. I just use a clip on to the hat magnifier. I personally don't want that option built into my glasses because it is too bothersome to me. One thing I would recommend is not put your expensive glasses on your hat and bend over. I shattered one of my Costa lenses and had to send them off to get new lenses. I now have the thing that connects to both arms of the glasses and let them hang from my neck. Good luck with the choice.

chased 09-13-2012 05:26 PM

I have a pair of Smiths with polarized polarchromic copper lenses and absolutely love them. I haven't used any with a magnifier in them, but I assume they would be just as good.

fishiowa 09-13-2012 05:36 PM

I have a pair of Smiths with bifocals, I really like not switching glasses every time I want to change flies but... I don't use them often because of the blur when I look down to see where I'm putting my feet. .Something to consider.

cockatouche 09-14-2012 07:03 AM

You can purchase stick-on magnifiers that will attach to any sunglasses.
I think I got mine at Wal-Mart.

coug 09-14-2012 07:24 AM

I finally got tired of flip down cheaters a couple of years ago. I have Maui Jim readers that have the bifocal. I suggest trying some on before buying. I had my heart set on the Smiths but they did not fit my fat head very well. Same thing with a pair of Costa's I bought about 15 years ago; too tight of fit for me.

darwin 09-14-2012 09:33 AM

I agree with much that has been said and all comments will be considered. ;)
Smith has 2 pair of the bi-focals that are made for big headed folks, that's why I am looking at them :D I have lost a few pair of readers and flip downs on the waters, that is why I want the bi-focal sun glasses. I will try and find a store that has them to give them a good look before make a decision.
thanks all. :thumbsup:

sweetandsalt 09-15-2012 08:42 AM

The reason Smith and Costa are the leading glasses for fly fishermen is they are made of very high quality GLASS. Both are great quality and offer top choices in angling tints. I wear Smith Rx myself and see fish without plastics distortion and scratches.

cboz76 09-25-2012 10:33 PM

Smith sunglasses are awesome but it's hard not to go with Costa. Smith does have better customer service and Costa's do easily break but nothing is clearer than their lenses.

woodrivertroutbum 09-26-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboz76 (Post 486300)
Smith does have better customer service and Costa's do easily break

That is the opposite of what I want to hear after spending over $200 on a pair of Costa's. LOL